This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual booting

okay, so I'm trying to dual boot Kubuntu 6.06 with windows xp.

you see, the problem is GRUB isn't picking up my windows install.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but my installs are in two separate physical hard drives. Kubuntu being on the master, and windows on the slave. I don't think it should affect it, but I can't get windows recognized so I'm desperate.

I've read about editing /boot/grub/menu.lst but I don't know exactally what to put, or what (hd0,0) means. My hard drives names are hda and hdb respectively.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to do this without reinstalling XP

Re: Dual booting

Hi,

In fact, from kubuntu you should edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the following section on the end (or modify to look somehow like this )

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
    # ones.
    title Other operating systems:
    root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/sda1
    title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root (hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

In fact, the (hd0,0) is the drive with number (primary master 0, primary slave 1, secondary master 2, secondary slave 3) and then the identifier of partition : first parittion on the drive 0, second if primary 1 if secondary (I don't know).

Hope it helps.

Comment

Re: Dual booting

Could you tell me how to get root acces to /boot/grub/menu.lst? It's not a problem to write new lines but it does not allow me to save the new file. I used to solve that problem activating root login but i would prefer to use sudo from my own user, and google isn't helping me to found a list of konsole commands.
      And sorry for my english 

[edit]
      ehm, sorry, I solved, it was just kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
      [/edit]

Comment

Working...
      X