This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No display after boot (New Install)

Hi this is my first time attempting to use Kubuntu. I have for a long time used Redhat, and more recently Fedora Core. I thought I'd give Kubuntu 6.06 Desktop AMD64 a try. I downloaded, checked the iso image (md5) and checked the burn (md5) all was fine. I attemped to Load and Install Kubuntu however I've stumbled upon a problem. Once the initial splash screen has gone through its steps, and daemons are loaded, the display just switches off, as in my monitor detects no signal and goes into suspend. At first I though it was due to using DVI. However I switched to RGB (Analogue) and still had the same problem. I have tried various monitors including LCDs and CRTs and no matter what I do I get no display. I also tried using ctrl-alt-backspace to drop to the console, when i do there is activity on my PC but I still get no display, using ctrl-alt-f6 and f7, also still no display. I have an ATi X850XT 256Mb graphics card (AGP 8x). I'm at a loss on what to do. Note: I have not had a problem like this using redhat or fedora. Any ideas?

Re: No display after boot (New Install)

Welcome to Kubuntu! I'm not sure which step is causing your problem. Have you succeeded in launching the live CD mode? If so, have you succeeded in installing Kubuntu? You didn't say which CD you downloaded, so I'm assuming you're using the Desktop CD. Is this correct?

Comment

Ok well basically I insert the cd, load the boot loader, select my option, 'Live CD & Install', It then loads the kernel ok, then is shows a splashscreen and loads the daemons/services, at the end of that, I assume it tries to load Xorg, i get a flashing white sqaure in the top left for a second, then my comp monitor looses signal. No error, just no signal to the monitor. I know its still loading fine as I get a startup sound and the cdrom is read for approx anouther 30 secs. I have tried droping back to console (ctrl-alt-backspace), and switching user modes (ctrl-alt-f1->f7), still the display is completely off. I have heard there is a bug with the ATi X800 series cards with default ati xorg (mine being X850XT), and have been told that I can run fine using 'vesa'. But i have not found a way to switch drivers on the live/install cd. I know you can do it, in /etc/xorg.conf, but that doesn't apply to me since i can't even get it to install or run live.

Comment

I've got the exact Problem here, i guess its really up to the X800 Series, i got the X800Pro

Comment

'Meth0d', I sort of found a solution, but it requires you to get a version of ubuntu or kubuntu that has a text installer. Basically install it using the text (also known as alternative), then boot into recovery mode once your done, install the fglrx drivers, you can do this from the command prompt. Its working fine for me now, however my pc locks up when i exit the x-server or try and shutdown.

Comment

Hi, I have the same on Edgy (post there too). It seems not to be dependent on the video card only, I have a Compaq Deskpro EN with a Matrox card, and have th same experience. With Edgy. I installed the alternative CD andread everything about the usplash issue (if I use the live CD the monotor switches off after the graphical "kubuntu" splash).

You say "then boot into recovery mode once your done, install the fglrx drivers, you can do this from the command prompt."

Could ypou please give som more detailed instructions for this? I am new to Linux :-(

Regards

Comment

Just for Info: I fixed it. No need for any driver install, also fine smooths restart or shutdown without any lockups.

It was very easy (perhaps that's why nobody answered).

I just looked into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and found in the Monitor Section, that the CRT tube I have on the box, a Compaq S900, seems to be held for a real wonder by the system... The modes were starting at 1600*1200 all. Well, the tube cannot do that.

I edited the monitor section, putting "General Monitor" instead of the "COMPAQ S900", have set 43-60 for freq and have set 1014*786, 800-600 and 640*480 only in all the modes subsections instead of all the 1600 and 792 and other weird stuff. And booted. And I received the KDE desktop immediately :-)

I never had been able to fix such a heavy HW relevant thing on a Billygates box with that few knowledge as I have about Linux at all. This stuff is great - thanks Linus and all of you for making it possible.

I have now a fine box where I can do everything I need, I can configure everything I want (if I find it out how) and I have much fun.

C U soon

Comment

Working...
              X