This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xterm resize

Under Kubuntu Dapper 6.06 for some reason, I can't resize an Xterm. This is when logged in as a normal user or directly into root. (I have enabled this on my private machine).

It must be something simple but I've googled and searched a number of sources without success.

Dell Inspiron 6000 hardware.

I've installed lots of distros before and while Kubuntu 6.06 is clearly the best of the recent bunch, I've never not been able to resize an Xterm, even on 5.10...

Any clues anyone?

Also under root I can't reset the background or desktop colours whereas I can under the normal user. (I like to have a bright red background just to remind me that I am in root!).

TIA

Re: xterm resize

According to this:
    http://www.geetduggal.com/linux_on_inspiron_6000.html

it's possible the wrong video driver is installed.  Try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-driver-i810
    then log out and restart the X-server.  Let us know if that works.

Comment

Re: xterm resize

Ah - after some digging around, it seems that I had caused this myself! The video drivers etc were fine. The difference between root and a user was that the ordinary user had an .Xdefaults file in it - but root didn't.

ISTR I copied this over from a RH machine and I thought I had suitably edited it so I can have nedit working cleanly. Removing the .Xdefaults removed the problem...

Is there any reason why .Xdefaults would do this?

Comment

Working...
      X