X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settings lost. [c]

Fresh install. All fine, but lost settings soon. Here is the story:

Used Kubuntu 5.04 64bit till now.
    Made a complete fresh install of Kubuntu Dapper 64bit and was surpised how well everthing got detected during the first login. I didn´t had to fool around in fstab to get my windows partition accessible, the external usb-harddrive immediatly showed up, etc. In short: Linux heaven!

Yet the screen resolution wasn´t set correctly, so I tried to install the latest nvidia-drivers (I am using a geforce 6600 gt), found the easy ubuntu project and gave it try. Installed a lot of nice stuff with it, but using the Nvidia drivers brought problems (freeze during bootup).
    Stayed with the normal "nv" driver and increased the screen resolution manually by altering the /etc/x11/xconf.org accordingly.

So far so good, but loggin in I realized that all my fat32 and ntfs partitions do not get mounted automatically any more, my keyboard layout changed back to American and some other settings I did during install got screwed up too.

I am not sure what caused it. Maybe it was Easy Ubuntu, maybe a apt-get upgrade did it, maybe it´s because I still stick with the troublesome 64bit technology. Did someone else experience something similar? Any advice?

I don´t want to miss the new luxury.
    Thank you,
    G.

Specs.: AMD64, 3200, Asus A8N-SLI. Dual Boot working (WinXP).

Re: Settings lost. [c]

You can get your desired keyboard back by hand editing xorg.conf again. Look for the "Generic Keyboard" stanza and change "pc104" to whatever it should be. As for the windows partitions, you will have to go in and edit /etc/fstab once again. I think it was Nirvana who pointed out that those automagic installers should ONLY be used BEFORE you customize your system, i.e. trying to use one of them on an upgraded system is a no-no. (If it wasn't Nirvana, I apologize to whoever it was.) It was a good advice.

Comment

Working...
    X