This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation and Running

Ok, I could be missing something really easy here, but i find that hard to believe... if i am, feel free to correct me

Ive neen having ALL kinds of issues installing Kubuntu.
    First, i downloaded the AMD64 Desktop DVD, booted it up, and it froze during what i think was the loading of the Desktop. I had a cursor on the screen, the background had changed to white and i had 4 blue squares in the middle, and all around the sides there was screen garbage ( slashes, as if it was missing my refresh rate on my vid card or something of that sort ). So, i tried the desktop CD.. same thing. I even went as far as to download the Ubuntu desktop CD... same thing.

So, on a side note.. after the first attempt at the install, i had to reboot of course, because i couldnt do anything. No keystoke took me anywhere ( i tried anything and everything i knew to kill the desktop, get another terminal on the go, kill a running procecss, whatever ) to no avail, i had to reboot. When i did.. it said there was no keyboard detected! Ok.. It seems as if my USBs were all shut down. My mouse's laser wasnt on, numlock, capslock.. nothing worked. I had to get my old PS2 keyboard out and use that to boot the machine back up! Even when i went back into windows.. it had to redected all the USB ports.

So, after all that fun i downloaded the Alternative CD.. booted it up and installed everything fine in text mode. Great.. installed. I reboot, and try to get into Kubuntu... nadda. Same thing as if i tried the desktop cd/dvd. I get a cursor, can move the cursor around but my keyboard isnt working. I hit numlock.. the light doesnt go out, caps.. the light doesnt come on. I reboot again. Oh.. cant find my keyboard AGAIN. Get out the PS2 one and fix it up AGAIN.

What could be the problem here? Anyone have any ideas why i cant get a working desktop? Im gonna try the PS2 keyboard as the default here in a second, knowing that the USB one cant do anything. Ive had instances where keyboard prevented me from installing things before ( Windows XP wouldnt install with a combination of a certain motherboard and PS2 keyboard in the past, it would freeze during setup ). But other then that, i have no ideas.

here are my specs:

AMD 3700+ San Diego
    MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum
    1gb 400Mhz Corsair Dual Channel ( 2 X 512 )
    Nvidia Geforce 7800GT
    Sata1 WD Raptor 74G
    Sata2 WD Caviar SE 160G

I installed Kubuntu on the last 56 gigs of the second Sata drive.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that i am using 2 monitors. Could that be why this isnt working? i know i read that some people are having some issues getting both to work, but i even disconnected one of them and tried a reboot.. still nothing, and with the same problems.

Re: Installation and Running

Installing with 2 monitors and then removing one of them is a good way to guarantee a freeze because the xserver just keeps stupidly looking for the second monitor because the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file said it would be there. If you're now running with only one monitor, I'd rrun "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". That might help with your keyboard problem as well (see below).

The first thing I would do to get the keyboard working is to check the keyboard stanza in xorg.conf and make sure that it was set properly, e.g. "pc104" or whatever's right. Then I would try the same keyboard with a usb->PS/2 adapter. Then I'd bite the bullet and use a PS/2 keyboard.

Comment

Working...
    X