Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to reinstall Kubuntu, but I can't.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to reinstall Kubuntu, but I can't.

Everytime I try to reinstall it, the installer works fine until it tries to copy the files to my hard drive; it always freezes at 64%. I even tried to use the shipit CD that I received 2 days ago, but it could not even start the installer (it froze at 0%). I do not know whether I can manually reformat my drive and I fear it has been permanently damaged (saw GRUB Error 22) due to repeatedly restarting it after it freezes. Is there another way around this problem?
    Computer Specs:
    Processor: AMD Sempron 3100+
    Memory: 1 GB
    Hard Drive: 40 GB
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce F Ti 4200 (128 MB)
    Dual Boot With Windows XP SP2 (seperate Hard Drive; size is 80 GB)

Edit: Whenver I try to boot into either hard drive, Grub Error 15 appears after Loading Stage 1.5.

Re: I want to reinstall Kubuntu, but I can't.

Hi
    first if your windows drive is your C drive in your BIOS, boot from your windows CD and I cannot remember the exact terminology but select the option for recovery console and type fixmbr this should recover your windows installation. If like me you find that you cannot boot from CD enter your system BIOS and reset system defaults.
    What I am about to say I express only my opinion and others may not agree but I find the minimal install CD is much more reliable than the Live CD if you can boot from CD I would try that first, worked for me.

Good Luck John

Comment

Well, there's good news and bad news on this one I think. Grub error 22 isn't nice, it means something is up with your partitioning. You might want to give us some more details about your partitions and how you did the partitioning. John Birds advice is what I would do first up. After you have done fixmbr you can then boot back into windows (fingers crossed). Have you partitioned your disk in Windows?

When you get back into Windows - if you haven't already - back up everything you want off your hardrive to a CD or other external source - mucking about with your partitions is scary otherwise.

Grub error 15 can be pretty benign - I know I'm on the home stretch when I see this one. It means that things look OK but grub cannot find the right files to boot, so we just need to configure grub right

First things first - give us some idea about your partitions on your disk. Then when the partitions are sorted out (removing the error 22 stuff) - we can sort the Grub configuration out with a grub boot floppy or similar.

Comment

I am working on the same problem (error 22) when I try to reinstall from Ghost Backup. I am going to zero fill my drive, and then try again. This has fixed all kinds of partition/MBR/etc. problems for me in the past. Disconnect (go in & pull the ide cable) from the drive with windows on it. After the zero fill (Low Level Format sort of). Reconnect the Windows HDD & using the install CD bring up the recovery console. The command fixmbr should now allow windows to boot fine. Now your back to square one. Kubuntu should install fine. If you are unsure of Windows Recovery console there are tons of walk throughs on the web it's pretty easy actually if you are carefull. I'll let you know if it works on this tommorrow. Good luck.

Hal

Hal Robinson

Comment

Working...
        X