X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual monitors = boot failure

Hello
    I had successfully installed Kubuntu using the installer. It seemed to pick up everything fine automatically except my secondary monitor.

I installed the nVidia drivers via Adept and restarted. Now I could see the other display copying what was on the primary when booting up and shutting down, but not normally.

So, I went into the display configuration and enabled the secondary monitor, set it to Dual Screen, configured both displays to use the right driver (Sony CPD E230 and Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410), applied, and restarted.

Now the actual problem comes here. Kubuntu seems to boot OK, but it seems that when it goes to start the X Server it fails or something. It finishes loading up at the first splash screen, then goes blank, then comes up with an empty Kubuntu splash screen (empty loading bar etc). It just sits there, no harddisk activity or anything. There is just this empty splash screen, and doesn't do anything when I type - there is no cursor. I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL to get it to restart, and the same thing will happen again.

I am using the Kubuntu CD as a live CD to post this.

My system specs are:
    Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.0ghz Processor
    2048mb DDR400 RAM
    AGP nVidia (Chaintech) 6800GT/256mb (with VGA and DVI out)

I have two VGA monitors. My primary is a Sony CPD E230 running on the VGA out, and my secondary is a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410 running off of a converter attached to the DVI out. This setup works fine in Windows normally, though I have never seen it running on any form of Linux running X server.

Re: Dual monitors = boot failure

Sounds like X has some sort of problem. When it's just sitting there, try 'ctrl-alt-f1'. That should give you a text mode login prompt. Log in, and type 'startx'. This way you should see any errors that the X server displays, which should give us a better chance of working out what's wrong.

Look for lines starting (EE).

FWIW, I use a TFT and a TV from my nvidia card simultaneously with kubuntu no problem.

Comment

Well, I ended up reinstalling and not configuring my dual monitor setup yet. The problem now, is that I can no longer access the display settings in administrator mode!

I worked out that I did not enable the nVidia drivers in xorg.conf, and I ran the command "sudo nvidia-glx-config enable" to enable them. I can tell they are now working, because I get the nice little corporate splash screen smeared all over my screen when I start up. I went into the display settings to try the dual monitor config now, and it just goes blank when you click "Administrator Mode". There is a red border around the central part of the window, and nothing more.

Comment

Hey, i almost got the same prob...

try reconfiguring X : sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg,
        And then set the Resolution first on 800x600.....you can get into kubuntu, and then do a update...

Because there was a bug reported thats talking about the dual screens....

I'm busy with my prob now, but I'll give you a better-proper solution....

Greetings,

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X