X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mountall of smbfs and "system protocol died"

I also have the problem described at
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...31.0;topicseen
    specifically: 3-5 minute hang on hald at boot and "The process for the system protocol died unexpectedly" as the last event after (re-)freshing the desktop following login.

My own inadequate research turned up something odd. Checking out /etc/init.d/mountall, I noted the subcommand "mount -av -t nonfs,nonfs4,nosmbfs,nocifs,noncp,noncpfs
    ,nocoda,noocfs2,nogfs 2>&1" which according to mount(8) is incorrect syntax. The "no" prefix is applied to the first item in the list and applies to every subsequent item in the list. It's unclear what the semantics of this command are supposed to be. As a bugreport, either the man page or the subcommand is wrong.

I've also been thwarted in finding where hald is loaded. It appears in none of the /etc/rc*.d, nor in the texts of any of the /etc/init.d/*. So I don't find how it is invoked near S12dbus and S18hplip when switching to runlevel 2.

Re: mountall of smbfs and "system protocol died"

Thanks for quoting my topic of this problem! And it sounds like you've done some research and uncovered a few things. I too am having SMB problems which I didn't have before I started getting this message ("The process for the system protocol died unexpectedly.").

My Windows machines can't see my Linux shares any more but the other way around is fine. This problem is driving me crazy! I'm anxious for a fix. Unfortunately, I'm clueless about what the problem is ...

Comment

Similar Problem

I'm having similar problems. If I want to connect to a Windows server, through the smb kioslave, I get this error:

The process for the smb://gfam protocol died unexpectedly.

If I connect to a Samba server, however, it goes through just fine. Can't connect to Windows shared printers through CUPS either, or use third party smb programs like LinNeighborhood or good-old smbclient. It's just useless really, because of all the stuff that doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
      X