This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login problem

Hey everyone, I will admit that I am completely new to linux and need some help. I downloaded the alternate install file and successfully installed kubuntu. It loads and comes up to the loggin and that is where my problem comes in. I try logging in and all I get is invalid login whenever I try using the one that I set up during the installation. What should I do, PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: Login problem

Originally posted by darion
    Hey everyone, I will admit that I am completely new to linux and need some help. I downloaded the alternate install file and successfully installed kubuntu. It loads and comes up to the loggin and that is where my problem comes in. I try logging in and all I get is invalid login whenever I try using the one that I set up during the installation. What should I do, PLEASE HELP!!!
    First thing that comes to mind is that linux is case-sensitive, so make sure your username and password are typed exactly like you wrote them: 'Username' is not the same as 'username'...also check that Caps-lock is off.

You can reset the password by booting into the recovery mode:
    1a. choose recovery mode from the boot menu
    1b. if you can't see a boot menu when you boot up, press ESC when prompted 'press ESC to see the boot menu'...and choose recovery mode
    2. in the recovery console use the command:
    Code:
    passwd <USERNAME>
    (Where <USERNAME> is the username you want to change the password for)
    3. Quit the recovery console and reboot with command
    Code:
    reboot
    Post again if you're still having problems after these

Comment

I can't seem to find or get to recovery mode, any other suggestions. I probly should've mentioned the fact that it's on a powerpc so I don't know if they are set up alittle differant or not.

Comment

You can't get to the boot menu or recovery mode isn't available?

Do you have a live CD?

Comment

Can't get to the recovery mode and the only thing on the boot menu is l for linux and c for cd. As for disks I have a live cd and an alternate install cd which is what I used to install it.

Comment

Getting to recovery mode should be pretty straightforward, but since I don't know if the process if different on PPC, I'll describe a different method off changing the password:

1. Boot your Desktop/Live CD
            2. Start Konsole
                 Alt+F2 to open run dialog
                 konsole

Give the following commands in konsole:
            3. Mount your root harddisk partition
                 sudo mount /dev/hda1 /media
                 (replace hda1 with the devicename of your root partition, you can see a list of partitions and their names with
                  sudo fdisk -l if you're not sure.)
            4. Chroot into the root partition
                 sudo chroot /media
            5. Check the username
                 grep 1000 /etc/passwd
                 (the first field in the result is the username...check that it's correct)
            6. Change the password
                 passwd username
                  (replace 'username' with the actual username)
            7. Exit chroot
                 exit
            8. Reboot

Comment

Working...
            X