X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New hard drive, won't boot

Hello everybody, this is my first post.
    I have hard drive, 120 GB, which was in my old celeron computer. It had Fedora and SuSE on it, and it was the master of my 2 hard drives. I am moving it to my new amd64 computer, and I set the jumpers for it on slave so that it won't boot. Unfortunately, that won't work. It decides that it is the main boot device. So now I am trying to install kubuntu 6.06 LTS and after the kernel is loaded we see the progress screen thing, and for some reason, it stops at "Mounting root filesystem" and never moves past. Is there anything I should know? How can I make it work? Thanks in advance.

Re: New hard drive, won't boot

Check your BIOS settings.

I remember reading somewhere about an upper size limit on Hard Drives, where I do not know, I vaguely recall a work around as well.

When I find it I'll repost with a link for you.

Comment

Re: New hard drive, won't boot

Hi,
      does your new harddrive show up correctly in the BIOS boot splash, if not try entering your BIOS and checking that the harddrive detection is set to auto. secondly how big is your new HD the upper limit for lots of BIOS setups is about 170GIG if it is larger than this go to the makers web site and download installation and formating software from there. If you are using sata HDs it may have to setup the boot order in the controller if so you should find the key combination to press at the bottom of the BIOS splash screen

Good luck John

Comment

Working...
      X