This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Login Screen unreadable after screen resolution change

I have read the readme, but have not tried reinstalling Kubuntu yet because I really hope there is a less drastic solution.

After installing Kubuntu, I went into system settings to change the screen resolution to something more readable than the default setting.  I switched it to 1024x768 and then switched the startup screen to 'fingerprint'.  After rebooting, the login screen has become an incomprehensible mess, but there are no messages and the computer still responds to all commands, it's just that I can't log in because I can't see what I'm doing.

My specs:
    Athalon 64 3000+
    ATi Radeon 9200SE
    512Mb RAM
    80Gb SATA Hard Disk
    Kubuntu 6.06 AMD64
    Currently Running Dapper 6.06 amd64 on:<br />Athalon 64 3000+<br />512Mb DDR400<br />ATi 9200SE<br />Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80Gb

Re: Login Screen unreadable after screen resolution change

Maybe you should try to go in console mode <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>, login and then reconfigure kdm
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Not sure it will work, but worth it. If you have network and it will not work, then uninstall it and reinstall :
    sudo dpkg --purge kdm
    sudo apt-get install kdm

Good luck

Comment

Re: Login Screen unreadable after screen resolution change

Thanks, sky.  I will give that a try.

Status Update:
      I couldn't get sky's suggested solutions to work, so I had to reinstall from the CD and try again. When I looked at the Display applet, I discovered that I had set my monitor to 1280x768, not 1024x768.

Let this be a lesson to anyone reading this thread in future: widescreen resolutions will completely screw up a standard monitor's picture.
      Currently Running Dapper 6.06 amd64 on:<br />Athalon 64 3000+<br />512Mb DDR400<br />ATi 9200SE<br />Maxtor DiamondMax 10 80Gb

Comment

Working...
      X