Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu freezes on boot with wi-fi card... also, i need advice on partitioning..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu freezes on boot with wi-fi card... also, i need advice on partitioning..

I just installed Kubuntu on my Dell Latitude L400, and with some work i got my PCMCIA wirelss card to work with ndiswrapper (my card uses the Marvell Technology Group 88w8335 chipset (PCI ID 11ab:1faa))

the problem is when i try to boot with the card inserted, i get this error:

Loading Hardware Drivers...
    firmware_helper[2793]:main:error loading '/lib/firmware/mrv8k-b.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:02:00.0' with driver 'mrv8k'

and then

Configuring Network interfaces...
    udevd-event[3405]:run_program: '/lib/udev/aftab_helper' abnormal exit
    and then it freezes...

if i boot without the card,and then insert it, it works flawlessly...

Also, now that i got my linux system mostly functional, i am ready to delete my windows partition....

how should i partition now? should i just make 1 big partition? i have a 20Gb HDD...

Re: Kubuntu freezes on boot with wi-fi card... also, i need advice on partitioning..

Hi,

For this card problem I really don't know, seems to be related to PCMCI more than network...
    Anyway for your partitionning, you will not be able to make one big partition as linux usually need a swap one and the /
    So at least make two, usually users are also creating a /home (nicer in case of reinstall )
    About sizes, it depends of your needs in /home (what content)
    For swap use twice ram if lower than 1go, if higher, you can set it the same as ram...

Cheers

Comment

Re: Kubuntu freezes on boot with wi-fi card... also, i need advice on partitioni

mmm... Kinfocenter's pcmcia tab says that there is no PCMCIA controller detected...

lspcia says this:

kuroyume@kuro-laptop:~$ lspci
      0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
      0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
      0000:00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
      0000:00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
      0000:00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
      0000:00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
      0000:00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic Crystal CS4281 PCI Audio (rev 01)
      0000:00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
      0000:00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 78)
      0000:00:10.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
      0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
      0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)
      it says there that the Cardbus controller is present (and i know it works, since the wireless card works when inserted after boot...

about the partitioning:

can i just move the /home directory to another partition, or do i have to do something special?

EDIT: i formated my windows partition to fs3using qtparted... but i can't mount it...

the new partition shows up in /media, but when i try to open it in konqueror it says:

Could not mount device

The reported error was:

can't find /dev/hda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Comment

Re: Kubuntu freezes on boot with wi-fi card... also, i need advice on partitioning..

Hi,

For the pcmcia trouble you will maybe find some more info in dmesg

About your mount trouble, it's because it's not present in your /etc/fstab...
        For this, you should add a line in this file :
        kdesu kate /etc/fstab
        Add a line like this :
        /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

Here "/" is the mount point where you want it to be mounted, don't forget to create it first (by mkdir command)

Hope this helps

Comment

Re: Kubuntu freezes on boot with wi-fi card... also, i need advice on partitioni

partitions are working...

i did a 14 gb for /home, and the rest for /...

now, i need to make wy swap bigger (the installer made it the same 256 gb that i have in ram...)

the thing is i know i won't be able to do it in qtparted, since it would be an active partition...

should i boot from the cd and it from there?

maybe there is a script i can use to do it at boot, before the swap mounts?

what should i look for in dmesg? there is a bunch of stuff... but nothing seems to be pcmcia related...

Comment

Hi,

You should be able to do with your system active... Type the following command to unactivate your swap :
            sudo swapoff <your_partition_of_swap>
            Then resize it as you want... and turn it back on
            sudo swapon <your_partition_of_swap>

About dmesg, you should look for the name of your card, address of it, something related to... I'm sorry I will not be a big help in this case as I never used pcmcia

Cheers

Comment

mmm... it didn't work... i think i need to have all partitions unmounted...

is there anything else i should try?

Comment

Sorry I was sure it would work... Maybe do it from live cd, and keep us informed how it was...

Good luck

Comment

i tryed it... for some reason qtparted insisted on keeping me from doing anything...

maybe i can do it from the console?

i guess i'll have to do some reading... good thing classes end on a couple of days...

Comment

It's quite funny to do it from console, I did it once to recover partitions... Really hard
                    Maybe you should better download a live cd and do it from there (gparted livecd for example)

Cheers

Comment

thanks... i think i have a DSL laying around somewhere... i'll try that...

Comment

Working...
                      X