• Show
Clear All

LOCKUP- Booting into X after Fresh Install

Nvidia 7800 GT pcix
    AMD Athlon Dual Core X2 3800+
    2 gig ram
    260 gig SATA HD
    SyncMaster 204B

Installed from DVD ISO from the Kubuntu site.

I was having a problem while X was loading. I had to install using text mode installer.

It still locked up when starting X. I had to boot into recovery mode.

I would type startx.
    X would start, then KDE would start, showing the loading progress of the panel, initializing etc.... then my screen would get horizontal lines and severe graphics glitches. Then it would freeze. I could not use ctrl-alt F(x), ctrl-del nothing.

After typing startx, I immediately tried the ctrl-alt F1 F2 F3 etc until eventually I got to a console. In the background, X was starting, and I even heard the startup sound play. I thought something was working....switched back into X (ctrl-F2, I thought it was ctrl-F7...) and the same funky lines and distorted image appeared. The machine locked up again.

I solved this by apt-get install nvidia-glx-config, and manually changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and modifying the line:

Driver "nv"

to

Driver "nvidia"

Then simply typed "startx"

Problem was resolved.

I wonder why the default nv driver didnt work. Its a shame the install was so horrible and time consuming (almost 3hrs to get it running). I have installed XP/2000/98 on this machine in the past, and even a previous version of Kubuntu without any problems.

Hopefully this helps someone. If more information is needed I will supply what I can.

Now that Kubuntu is running, I am already delighted to see some of the improvements. Thank you all for your efforts and the tons of work you have put into this. Hopefully these little wrinkles can be worked out yet.
Working...
X