This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Breezy???

Ever since installing Dapper Drake I've had all sorts of little problems some of which I requested help for here. I am too much of a novice in Linux to know how to solve these problems. All of them are problems I didn't have with Breezy which was my first successful use of any Linux distro after using Windows for years.
    The two major problems I still have are:
    1. Getting Adept to operate and "find" programs for me. In fact I have two problems with adept. One I described in a previous topic (see"update problems") and the other problem I have with adept is that often, when clicking to go into adept the "locating program" icon bounces up and down for a while, doesn't enter the program and eventually I have to click again to enter the program after the bouncing has stopped. This is similar to problem number 2.
    2. ANY link I click on in e-mail causes the Konqueror icon to bounce up and down FOREVER. The only way to stop it is to restart my computer!!! Needless to say the link doesn't start the URL requested. The only way to get into an URL sent in e-mail is to copy/paste it. Other links (for example on the web) work perfectly. The latest phenomena with this "bouncing up and down" is that it leaves a trail where I move the mouse around - sort of like little Konqueror icons plastered all over my screen.
    All of these problems and my lack of knowledge on how to solve them are causing me to think of re-formatting and re-installing Breezy. Before I make that drastic (and unwanted) move I am prepared to try ANYTHING to solve these two problems which prevent me working normally.
    Errol

Re: Back to Breezy

1 Install Synaptic, a better more stable package manager
    2 Which email client? I assume kmail? I am at a loss here. you can configure the bouncing icon by going to System Settings/Panel/Launch Feedback (that has been a KDE thing I have seen off and on going back to the KDE2x days) The bouncing usually is supposed to stop after a specified time (30 seconds by default) if the app does not open, so somehow konqueror must still be tryng to open and may have crashed. Unfortunately I can't tell why.

Comment

This is what I get when trying to install synaptic. I'm at a loss/ NOTHING seems to work
      Errol
      errol@errolinux:~$ sudo apt-get update
      Password:
      Reading package lists... Done
      errol@errolinux:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
      Building dependency tree... Done
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      errol@errolinux:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
      Building dependency tree... Done
      Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
      This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
      is only available from another source
      E: Package synaptic has no installation candidate
      errol@errolinux:~$

Comment

You need to paste the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file, I am certain there are sections that are probably disabled (commented out) or missing, nd we will get you fixed quite easily.

I will be out for a time, as I am going to a holiday barbeque but others here should be able to spot the probelm if I am not back

Comment

I've posted everything on the "Update error " discussion as these two posts by me are now answering the same problem. Please go there to see the postings and try and solve my problem.
          Thanks
          Errol

Comment

Hey Erol,
            The learning curve for Linus is pretty high. Try configuring your sources like this.

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...&pid=28&page=9

This will get you the sources you need then you can use adept without too many problems. As far as the mail and the url problem is concerned You need to state what Mail program you are using. and also I would turn off the Busy Cursor in "System Settings->Panel->Launch Feedback" and choose "no busy cursor" from the dropdown.

PDR60

Comment

Hi PDR60
              At the moment I'm using Kmail because I haven't been able to download Thunderbird. I make even stay with Kmail as it's pretty neat. When I get home I'll try and turn off "busy cursor".

Thanks for the URL. Is thre a way to print out ALL the pages as I would like a hard copy of all the descriptions you posted.
              Errol

Comment

I changed the launcher to "no busy cursor". It solved the problem of the bouncing cursor and the "icon trail" all over my desktop. Thanks PDR60!
                The problem of my e-mail opening links for me still remains. Now whenclicking on a link in ANY e-mail I get a launch box opening for a few seconds and then disappearing. NO link opens. Any ideas anyone? As I said this lack of ability to connect to links is only from my e-mail - in this case kmail.
                PDR60 I'd stilllike to know if there is a way of printing all (or most) of those pages you posted the URL to without the need to go into and print each page individually.
                Errol

Comment

You definately need to look at your sorce.list file. You need to uncomment and add some additional sources. Then you'll get what you need. If you follow the How-To here
                  http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...&pid=28&page=9
                  You'll have them in no time. You may also want to take a look at installing the software by the script shown.

As far as kmail is concern you could change the opton in the "System Settings->KDE Components->Default applications.

I don't have a way to print the content from my site. I guess you could open Open Office and copy-paste it in there, then convert to a pdf and finally print it.

PDR60

Comment

I want to thank all on this post (and the other post I made "upgrade error") for solving my problems with expert help, understanding and patience. Thanks especially to PDR60 and claydoh.
                    I solved my problems - the link from e-mail is still a small problem but the amount I learnt from the help given was great!
                    Errol

Comment

Working...
                    X