This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual booting without hurting my windows install

mkay, heres the scoop. im dual booting kubuntu for the first time with windows xp home. i have 2 drives, a 160 gig C: drive with all my windows data and programs. the other drive is a 300 gig F: drive which holds all my torrents, tv shows, music, podcasts, etc. i created partitions especially for kubuntu (swap and main install) on my F: drive.

when i get to the "Prepare mount points" section of the install (after choosing to make my own partition table), it wants me to mount my windows partitions as "/media/sda1,/media/sda2,/media/sdb1,/media/sdb2." It then gives me the option to reformat each partition (im assuming i uncheck those :P). I still want to view my windows data from linux, so here goes:

Will mounting my windows partitions to /media not harm my windows install and data? is it safe ?

Re: dual booting without hurting my windows install

Mount them read only (I think if it's NTFS that'll happen anyway), and it will be fine.

Comment

Re: dual booting without hurting my windows install

aha, read only is automatic with ntfs. one less thing i have to worry about then. thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X