X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autoexec.bat in Kubuntu?

Hi,

I am relatively new at the linux world and my first experience is kubuntu, first breezy and now dapper. I usually come across with configuration problems because i am working in three different computers, but I almost always have ended succeeding. Having walked all this way I have ended up with a lot of files about how to solve certain configuration problems (usually howtos but also html files and some others). My question is: I would like to systematize all this information in a practical way and i think it would be a good option using it to create configuration files -if something similar exists. That is, is there any way to create something analogue to the autoexec.bat and config.sys files in msdos? I mean, to create my own automatix or easykubuntu files. (Automatix and easykubuntu doesn't leave installed all the programs they say they will, and besides this i would like to know what are they doing but i cannot -by definition).

Thanks

Re: Autoexec.bat in Kubuntu?

there is /usr/share/autostart/ and ~/.kde/Autostart are more for programs you want to start at bootup

and

/etc/init.d and the RC* directories under /etc are more for scripts
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Re: Autoexec.bat in Kubuntu?

Let me amplify a little on Nirvana's comment. When linux starts up it executes a lot of little programs instead of one big one the way M$ operating systems do. First it runs all the scripts in the /etc/rc.S/ directory then (I'm simplifying a little) it runs the scripts in /etc/rc.2/ then it runs a special script called /etc/rc.local which includes special commands that should be run for all users (mostly hardware things), then after a user logs in to KDE, KDE runs any scripts in the directory /home/<username>/.kde/Autostart/ These are things that are specific for a single user. Then there is a menu entry called System Settings on the K menu that allows you to customize kde for yourself. Finally, nearly all of the KDE apps have a "settings" entry in their menu bar where you can customize the look and feel of that specific app.

Change these things in the reverse order. i.e. Settings in applications first, then System Settings, then Autostart, etc. because that way your mistakes (and you will make some) cause the least damage.

Comment

Working...
      X