This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper 6.06 -- Install Success Story

10 days ago, my hard disk got fried from a power surge in a lightening storm (or so I thought). I eventually discovered that my /home partition was intact so made a backup copy of it on a spare hard disk.

No matter what I tried, I could not get to the rest of the disk (I/O errors). So I ordered up a new disk (went from 160GB to 250GB -- can never have enough space right?), installed it in the machine on Wednesday evening and installed Kubuntu Dapper 6.06 without a hitch. Total time for that was no more than an hour including the disk installation in the machine.

Spent some quality time with the system over the weekend and I'm happy to say, it is just about back to where it was before the disk crashed ... Automatix was a big help as well.

I'm quite happy to report that the whole process was much less painstaking than the equivalent in Windoze! I had started with Kubuntu about a year ago when it was still Hoary and this system had been updated via apt-get update/upgrade (it was up-to-date Dapper prior to the crash). I originally installed it with Ubuntu and then added the KDE stuff to make it Kubuntu. Needless to say, this left my Start menu pretty cluttered so I'm happy that now with Dapper, it's a "clean" Kubuntu install plus apps. I wanted via apt-get or in a few cases, compiled.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Oh, the 160GB drive? Tossed it into an external enclosure, formatted it with NTFS via an XP machine and WALA!, it works fine!

Happy Customer! Thanks Kubuntu Team!!!

Re: Dapper 6.06 -- Install Success Story

That's excellent! I have a success story, too -- I just built a new box Friday to replace my tired old Celeron 500 box. This box has run Ubuntu or Kubuntu since Hoary, and hasn't missed a beat. My laptop hasn't worked in K/Ubuntu since Dapper, so I wasn't real sure about putting it on this new box. But I had the CD and an empty partition, so why not?
    Everything, and I mean everything including this crapware USB wireless adapter that was lying around works! OK, not quite everything, since I can't install ubuntu-desktop at the moment, but everything except that :-D Sweet and fast. I'm loving it. Now if I can unbreak whatever makes my laptop refuse to network, I'll be golden. Hey, maybe I'll move this crapware USB wireless dongle over there.... ;-)

Edit: I did exactly that, and I am now sitting with my laptop, which is happily downloading ubuntu-desktop. Life is good! :-)

Comment

Working...
    X