X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SU error

Hi
    I have just completed a format of my drive (after saving my home files on another drive) and installed Dapper Drake successfully. I have one major problem I cannot access anything that requires a root. Neither adept nor anything else. The message I get is a box which has the heading "error - KDE su". In the box is written "su returned with an error" and an arrow that when pressed on throws me back to the desktop.
    What do I have to do to get the root to work? I do have a password and username which allows me to enter Kubuntu.
    TIA
    Errol

Re: SU error

Try using your user's password, that is the one used for admin tasks.
    More background and info is here:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

Comment

There isn't a request for a password. The ONLY thing that happens when I press on anything that needs an administrator, is that error box described above comes up. After that I'm thrown out of the attempt to use administrator.
      Errol

Comment

I don't know the cause/cure for this, but do have a suggestion: try running kcontrol and see if the administrative tasks work correctly from there:
        Start Menu/Run Command/kcontrol

Kcontrol is the official control panel thingy for KDE, System Settings (which is a package called kde-guidance) is more or less an easier to use layout for the modules in kcontrol's tree.

If the admin tasks work fine there, you can try reinstalling kde-guidance
        From adept, search for the package, then right-click on it and select "request reinstall"

Comment

Thanks for all the attempts to help. Nothing worked so I re-installed Kubuntu and now all is well. I have access to everything. No problems now!!
          Until the next one
          Errol

Comment

Working...
          X