X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Freezing with FGLRX drivers.

I have exactly the same problem here.
    I have a ati 9800 and when I don't install de fglrx drivers there is no problem with rebooting, but as soon as I install the latest fglrx drivers I cannot reboot anymore. It just hangs on the blue Kubuntu screen.
    Even the CTRL ALT F1 keys are not working anymore.

Is there a solution already...??

Re: Kubuntu Freezing with FGLRX drivers.

First, did you install the drivers with the Kubuntu package? Second, did you also install the liniux-restricted-modules-{your-kernel} package? To get your system working again, start in recovery mode (the second line in the Grub menu). Give your username and password when requested. This will take you to a full screen black and white console. Enter the command "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf Nano is a console editor so you cannot use your mouse, you must use your arrow keys. Scroll down to the lines that say
    Code:
    Section "Device"
     identifier "ATI Radeon xxxx
     boardname whatever
     driver "whatever" <----CHANGE THIS LINE to "vesa"
    That will get you going again. You could try changing it to "ati", but "vesa" is more certain.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I installed kubuntu from cd, followed a tutorial to get fglrx working, and it works fine. that is, untill I reboot (need to do that somethimes to go to XP) then the problem begins.
      99% of the times I reboot or shutdown the screen goes blank or shows the blue KDE logo and that's it, no reboot or shutdown, the keyboard hangs (so no CTRL_ALT_F1) and I have to hard reset the PC.

I did installed the liniux-restricted-modules-{your-kernel} package (as told in the tutorial) so I don't think that is the problem.
      Also I don't want to use the vesa drivers because I need acceleration in X (reason to follow the tutorial to get fglrx working).

I may have a problem with a faulty RAM module (read a treath somewhere here on the forum about that) but I don't have any spare one's to try that out.

I also noticed some weird behavior with my mouse;
      It is a Razer copperhead laser mouse. Sometimes when I reboot or shutdown, and the system hangs, if I start up in XP or Linux, the mouse is not working. I have to unplug and replug the mouse to get it working again.
      Could this have something to do with the fact that you can store your setting in the mouse under XP...??

Machine specs;
      AMD 2400+
      ATI 9800 pro
      1GB Memory

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I'm not telling how to get fglrx working, I'm telling you how to try to get KUBUNTU working! One thing at a time. You could go back to "ati" instead of "vesa", but please get Kubuntu working before trying to get fglrx working.

Yes, you "may" have a faulty RAM module, but you probably don't. The way to check is to run "memtest 86+" (the last line in the Grub boot menu) on bootup.

I don't know what's going on with your mouse. I can tell you that I am running Kubuntu on three computers with programmable keyboards, all programmed in Windows, and they all work. Once you flash a PROM, it stays flashed. This does NOT imply that your mouse should work. However, you'll have to take that up with the manufacturer who is almost certain to tell you that they do not support Linux. They will say that because they think that they can't afford to do so.

Comment

I'm sorry if I did'nt understand you at first...
          I think I have Kubuntu working because the post I am making (and the posts before) where made from within Kubuntu with my Firefox browser.
          The only thing is that I cannot reboot without my machine hanging in reboot state.

If I however, revert to the vesa driver, (like you suggested) there is no problem with rebooting.
          (normaly I don't reboot, I only shut down the machine at night, but sometimes I need to go to XP)

I have to say that since a day or two the shutdown procces is not giving problems anymore, I could shut down without hanging. (I didn't change anything special that I know of)...

But when I reboot with fglrx running, then the machine hangs again.

- Some log entry's

- /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) fglrx(0): Connected Display2: CRT on secondary DAC
          (II) fglrx(0): Display2: No EDID information from DDC.
          (EE) fglrx(0): === [R200DALGetControllerInfo] === CWDDC ControllerGetConfig failed: 6

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found

- fglrxinfo
          display: :0.0 screen: 0
          OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
          OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 Pro Generic
          OpenGL version string: 2.0.5814 (8.25.18)

(I have a seccond monitor attached on my videocard but it is not powered on, xinerama is my seccond thing to fix)

I'm going to check my RAM with the option you sugested....

p.s.
          Is there a way to get rid of the blue KDE screen during shutdown or reboot to see what is going on underneath it...??

Comment

The (EE) entry you quote from your Xorg.0.log file, indicates that you indeed have a problem with fglrx getting confused by the monitor that is attached but not turned on. The EDID system is trying to read the identity of the second monitor but it is unable to do so because the monitor is turned off. I would unplug that monitor from your video card until you are ready to use it. You can then try out fglrx with one monitor and one video card just to see if it works before you introduce any unneccesary complications.

If you wish to see the full set of shutdown messages, when you close down Kubuntu, use a console login:
            1)From KDE, type Ctl-Alt-F1. You will see a full screen black and whiter console saying "login:"
            2)Enter your name and give your password when requested.
            3) Enter the command "sudo shutdown -h now" to halt or "shutdown -r now" to reboot. You will see all the messages involved in the shutdown process.

Comment

Thanks for the info,

I removed the second monitor from the back of my card and now the (EE) errors are gone.
              On the other hand, I still have a reboot problem.....

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log I can read these two lines
              - (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found
              and
              - (WW) fglrx(0): Specified desktop setup not supported: 8

I don't what this means exactle, i've never seen the last message before in my log's

You can then try out fglrx with one monitor and one video card just to see if it works before you introduce any unneccesary complications.
              Eh, just for the reccord, I only have one video card installed, it just has two monitor plug's at the backside.

If you wish to see the full set of shutdown messages, when you close down Kubuntu, use a console login:
              I knew that one already, used it to many times now to shut down or reboot. But what I realy wanted to know was how to get rid of the image at al, so that during a normal shutdown or reboot (if it will work finally) I can see what is going on.

Thanks in advance,
              Johanneke.

Code:
              Section "ServerLayout"
                  Identifier   "Default Layout"
                  Screen   0 "Default Screen" 0 0
                  InputDevice  "Generic Keyboard"
                  InputDevice  "Configured Mouse"
              EndSection

Section "Files"

# path to defoma fonts
                  FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/misc"
              #    FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
                  FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
                  FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
                  FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1"
                  FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/100dpi"
                  FontPath   "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi"
                  FontPath   "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
              EndSection

Section "Module"
                  Load "i2c"
                  Load "bitmap"
                  Load "ddc"
                  Load "dri"
                  Load "extmod"
                  Load "freetype"
                  Load "glx"
                  Load "int10"
                  Load "type1"
                  Load "vbe"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                  Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
                  Driver   "kbd"
                  Option   "CoreKeyboard"
                  Option   "XkbRules" "xorg"
                  Option   "XkbModel" "pc104"
                  Option   "XkbLayout" "us"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                  Identifier "Configured Mouse"
                  Driver   "mouse"
                  Option   "CorePointer"
                  Option   "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                  Option   "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
                  Option   "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                  Option   "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                  Identifier  "Nokia 445Xi"
                  Option   "DPMS"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
                  Identifier  "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
                  Option   "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
                  Option   "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
                  Option   "DPMS" "true"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
                  Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R350 NH [Radeon 9800 Pro]"
                  Driver   "fglrx"
                  BusID    "PCI:1:0:0"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
                  Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]"
                  Driver   "fglrx"
                  Option   "VideoOverlay" "on"
                  Option   "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
                  Identifier "Default Screen"
                  Device   "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon R350 NH [Radeon 9800 Pro]"
                  Monitor  "Nokia 445Xi"
                  DefaultDepth   24
                  SubSection "Display"
                      Depth   24
                      Modes  "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
                  EndSubSection
              EndSection

#Section "Screen"
              #    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
              #    Device   "aticonfig-Device[0]"
              #    Monitor  "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
              #    DefaultDepth   24
              #    SubSection "Display"
              #        Viewport  0 0
              #        Depth   24
              #    EndSubSection
              #EndSection

Section "DRI"
                  Mode     0666
              EndSection

Comment

At this point the only thing I can think to suggest is that you rerun "sudo dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" while you hve the second monitor unplugged. It may be that the warning you're now getting is attributable that your xorg.conf now refers to a second screen that doesn't exist when the wecond monitor is unplugged.

Comment

Eh, we can close this topic now...
                  I bought a Nvidia 6800GS, and al my problems are over....

I'm gonna try Xinerama for my seccond monitor now, but that's a different topic.
                  Thanks for all the help so far...

Comment

Working...
                  X