X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resize partition or let be or cleanup?

I have Kubuntu on a 5 gig HD (no dual boot),
    4 gigs as root (about 400 meg free) & 1 gig as swap.
    system is running good & fast. (512 ram + 650 mhz)

I'm thinking of resizing swap down to 500 meg to give me more room in root, but I thought I read that swap should be 2 times your ram?
    the first day I had Kubuntu I let it set my swap at 256, found it ran poorly so I formated & set it to 1 gig, what do you think about 500 megs?

OK next... if I do resize How can I do it without losing 3 weeks of config work?
    the Kubuntu CD wont let me resize or gparted or partgui, partition magic says it's ex2 when we know it's ex3, so I dont want to chance that.
    can't ex3 be resized?

Lastly.... so if I cant resize, I thoght I read about a command to cleanup unused temp files or something? (just can't find it now) something like
    Code:
    sudo su cleanup
    am I close?

..... Thanks to everyone for all the help, after only 3 weeks I have been using Kubuntu full time, kicking a 12 year Win habit isn't so hard 

Re: resize partition or let be or cleanup?

For cleaning up your hard drive, you have the option of grabbing either Kleansweep or kleandisk from the Kubuntu repositories. You need to Add Multiverse Repositories first, and then choose which version you want to install. I would do Kleansweep since it is kept up to date.

Kleansweep install instructions:
    Code:
    # sudo apt-get install kleansweep
    For resizing your hard drive I would suggest you take a look at QtParted. Install instructions:
    Code:
    # sudo apt-get install qtparted
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

Hi Mike

I think what you are looking for is apt-get clean or apt-get autoclean.

In a console type man apt-get and it will tell you all about the commands.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Hi Mike,

About your resize question:
        As far to my experience you can not resize an ext3 partition with (QT)Parted.
        You can off course convert your ext3 back to ext2, resize with (qt)parted, and convert backt to ext3. It's quite simple (apart from the / partition).

Check http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm for a good tutorial on how to do this. It's not difficult. I've done it numerous times.

Harry

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone!!! I'll check these out, I worked late today so I got to hit the hay now.

I'll post back how these work.

Comment

nixternal - I found Kleansweep, thanks... I'd better read up on it because it says it for experts.

lowey23 - that's the command I was looking for, it freed up 200 megs, thanks!

surfer - thanks for the ex2 + ex3 link, I might try it over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
            X