X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[C] ATI video drivers

Hi
    this is my second post on this subject first recived no responce after a clean install of 64bit AMD Dapper on a PC with an ATI all in wonder 9600xt video card, on booting all appears to go well but I just end up at a blank black screen. I can boot in recovery mode with no problems.
    I have look in this forum and found the following:-

Start your computer in recovery mode (the second entry on the Grub menu). This will give you a black and white
    full screen console. Enter your user name at the "login:" prompt, and then your password, if requested.
    If the only thing requested is a password, just hit return. Then run the command
    Code:sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" when asked enter your password. choose the "vesa" driver for your video.

Unfortunatly that does not work as I am only offered to configure various chipsets ATI(all the settings are correct for the video card) both on manual and auto detect no vesa driver.

From the Ubuntu Dapper Installation_Guide

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide
    I found the following, but that leaves me with the following questions :-

Method 1

How do I enable restricted repository from a command prompt.

How can I edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a command prompt.

Method 2

How can I enable universe and multiverse repositories from a command prompt.

How can I download 64bit installer from a command prompt. I have already downloaded the 64bit installer with my working windows installation but I have no way to transfer it to
    my Linux installation other than to use a USB memory stick which leaves me with the problem of
    mounting it navigating to it, and running it from a command prompt.

My finnal question is would It be simpler to reinstall Breezy and update to Dapper or would I still end up with the same problem.

Please give me some assistance with this as I really dont want to be forced into running windoz blista (if its not broke dont microsoft it).
    Regards John

Re: [C] ATI video drivers

nano is your commandline friend. so for:
    How do I enable restricted repository from a command prompt:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    and add restricted at the end of the lines in the dapper, dapper-updates, dapper-security, and dapper-backport repos.
    How can I edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf from a command prompt.
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    How can I enable universe and multiverse repositories from a command prompt.
    same as the restricted I think.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Re: [C] ATI video drivers

Hi,
      Thank for your time and trouble, method 1 worked fine.

Regards John

Money can't buy friends, but you can get a better class of enemy.
      Spike Milligan

Comment

Working...
      X