This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[c] installing on a Compaq nx6125

Hey there friendly folk. I've done the checks in the "read me" topic thread, but still got some issues. Please not, I am very much a Linux novice, so be gentle

I am trying to install Kubuntu onto a Compaq nx6125 laptop with a Sempron 1.8g AMD processor, 1gb ram, 40gb HDD, DVD/CDR, etc. (check out this website for full specs).

When I put my Kubuntu Dapper CD in, it loads up fine. I select to Start or install Kubuntu and it does it's thing. I notice along the way a few errors. I tried to write them down before the screen changed, and this is what I could get:

* Loading manual drivers [OK]
    mount: Function not implemented
    * INIT: Entering runlevel:2
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/system-manufacturer No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/[something else] No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/[I didn't catch this one] No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/acpi-support/[or this one] No such file or directory

So anyway, this disappears, the Kubuntu desktop (KDE) starts to load up. It's really slow, but I figure that's normal for an operating system booting entirely from CD. Anyway, I get this error message pop up:

Error - KDesktop
    The process for the trash protocol died unexpectedly

I click ok, it goes away. The sound turns on and plays the Kubuntu start up theme. Then I hear two alarm noises one after the other. A little while later, this error message shows up:

Error - KDesktop
    Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
    klauncher said: .

Then shortly this one:

Error - KDesktop
    The process for the media protocol died unexpectedly.

Now the desktop image finally loads, but I have no desktop icons and everything runs very slow. I try to run a program and it thinks about it for a while, then the item disappears from the taskbar.

So that's my sad story of trying to load Kubuntu onto my laptop. Does anyone know what might be wrong (apart from the fact that I have a low-end laptop) and have any suggestions of how I can get Kubuntu to install?

Thanks for your time

Re: [c] installing on a Compaq nx6125

Update:
    After trying it a few times, I managed to get the installer to run (very slowly). I got through all 6 stages, formatting my hda3 partition from reiserfs to ext3 (I had previously installed OpenSUSE SLICK from a Linux magazine dvd) and re-formatting the swap partition, leaving hda1 well enough alone (that's my Windows partition, and I have stuff on there that I need).

Anyway, got the summary, pressed ok... it seemed to sit on 0% of scanning files for quite a while, then up to about 2%.

Eventually I get this message:

Installer Crashed
    ----------------
    We're sorry: the installer crashed. Please file a bug report at
    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu...quity/+filebug
    and a developer will attend to the problem as soon as possible. To
    help the developers understand what went wrong, include the
    following detail in your bug report, and attach the
    files /var/log/installer/syslog, var/log/syslog, and /var/log/partman:
    ----------
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/ubiquity", line 130, in ?
    install(sys.argv[1])
    File "/usr/bin/ubiquity", line 55, in install
    ret = wizard.run()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ubiquity/frontend/kde-ui.py", line 309, in run
    self.progress_loop()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ubiquity/frontend/kde-ui.py", line 524, in progress_loop
    raise Runtime error, ("install failed with exit code %s; see"
    RuntimeError: install failed with exit code 1; see /var/log/installer/syslog and var/log/syslog

I checked on the website it mentioned and found quite a few bug reports that were similar, but no exact matches. I managed to use my USB key to copy the log files and have now submitted the above bug report.

So, I guess the question is, has anyone here had this error before?

Comment

I got the same "installer crashed" error .
      btw for the slow live cd, adding an option (by pressing F6) acpi=off , solves the problem.

Anybody has some some suggestions, for installing. Would there be a 'advanced cmd line installer?

Comment

Originally posted by grizzly

I got the same "installer crashed" error .
        btw for the slow live cd, adding an option (by pressing F6) acpi=off , solves the problem.

Anybody has some some suggestions, for installing. Would there be a 'advanced cmd line installer?

That would be the alternate install cd
        <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
        X