• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Remove all Gnome stuff

Started off by installing Ubuntu 6.0.6

Switched to KDE using following instructions:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

Love KDE seems far superior to Gnome and my stock program running under Wine functions far better now.

(1) Did I do the KDE install correct?
    (2) How can I remove ALL traces of Gnome from my computer?

Thanks!
    [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Re: How To Remove all Gnome stuff

You did your install correctly, but unless you absolutely need the disk space, I wouldn't uninstall Gnome just yet. First of all there are some Ubuntu programs (like Synaptic) that are MUCH better than their KDE counterparts (like Adept) and if you use them you need the GTK libraries. Second, even though I dislike Gnome, I keep a copy of it on my computer as a rescue aid, just in case I get a bad KDE upgrade or flub a configuration file.

Comment

I agree with askrieger, but if you really want to get rid of Gnome completely, follow these instructions:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
        You did your install correctly, but unless you absolutely need the disk space, I wouldn't uninstall Gnome just yet.  First of all there are some Ubuntu programs (like Synaptic) that are MUCH better than their KDE counterparts (like Adept) and if you use them you need the GTK libraries.  Second, even though I dislike Gnome, I keep a copy of it on my computer as a rescue aid, just in case I get a bad KDE upgrade or flub a configuration file.
        Thanks! I however screwed things up in the meantime. Was playing around with system settings and came across GNOME (Service I think) and set it from running to stop. System crashed and since then trying to log-in via troubleshooting mode as root leaves me standing at the nVidia Logo screen. Tried GDM and KDM at root prompt but both toss me into same nVidia screen. Meanwhile d/l Kubuntu on my laptop but hate to have to re-install as last backup was over 3 days ago and lots of stuff saved/added since then. If I do re-install given no other option then this time for sure I will store data files in another partition like I used to do with Win-XP Pro. Guess we all learn the hard way  >

Any help most welcome - thanks! 
        [img width=400 height=96]http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6727/newav1no9.jpg[/img] <br />The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; [i]Bill Watterson

Comment

Hi,

If you're able to login as console mode <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>
          Then you can maybe save your install...
          Try to sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop or kde

Maybe you will get it working...
          And at least, if you will need to save some datas, you will be able to do it over network with another computer.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks!

Tried a "dpkg-reconfigure" with the "-a" option which seemed to fix it and enabled me to retreive all of my data files and settings.

Did complete fresh install of Kubuntu with the one change this time of having a 30GB partition solely for the apps/system, a 7MB swap partition and a 242GB data partition. That way no matter what I do to screw up the apps/system stuff I can always re-install without loosing my data even though I try to be consistent in my backup routine.

Regards

Comment

Working...
            X