X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only can log in as root

Hello!

I was checking some programs and I started KPackage, but it gave me a permission error. That stroke me as odd because it wanted to install on /home/my-username, and I had granted full permissions for that. I tried to close the error window but it didn't wanted to close, so I, not knowing how to kill a process, just did a reboot.

When I tried to log as my user, I was greeted by a black screen and a "X" cursor and thrown back to the KDM login screen. I rebooted, but nothing changed. I can log in as root though, but I don't feel comfortable. Anyone knows what can I do to log in as my user? I have full permissions for it, the pass is right and the user account is enabled.

Thanks in advance

Re: Only can log in as root

For future reference: if you type Ctl-Alt-Esc, you'll get a nice little skull and crossbones cursor that will kill any window that it's clicked on.

It sounds as if you've clobbered your Xserver. Can you boot up in recovery mode (2nd line in Grub menu)? That will get you up in a black and white full screen console. If so, run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". Hopefully, that will get you going again.

Comment

Working...
    X