This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE issues after upgrade

I had significant issues with Kubuntu when upgrading from 5.10 to 6.0.6 (KDE and desktop apps completely removed, wrong kernel installed, X wouldn't start at all, etc.), but I have almost everything fixed now. Clean upgrade it was not, so if anyone is counting you can add me to the list of people that have reported extreme difficulties during the upgrade process. Note: I'm not complaining, just want to be clear that I also encountered many of the issues that I've seen others report.

I'm also experiencing a separate issue that I haven't seen discussed yet. After getting KDE reinstalled and my kernel and Xorg issues resolved, I'm still unable to login to KDE through KDM. Immediately after authenticating, X will close altogether and KDM will be restarted. I checked the logs and couldn't find any indication of errors.

I tried starting X using a few different methods, and here's my results:

KDM -> KDE - fails; KDM immediately restarts
    KDM -> failsafe - succeeds; can then run startkde and load KDE
    no KDM -> startx (no .xinitrc) - fails; X loads them immediately exits
    no KDM -> startx (.xinitrc "exec startkde") - succeeds

None of the methods that work are convenient to use on a regular basis, and in addition none of the helper scripts in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ are run with these methods (so, for example, mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work).

Can anyone offer suggestions to fix this? Or has anyone else even heard of it? I'm completely out of ideas at this point. I can provide any additional information if requested.

Thanks.

Re: KDE issues after upgrade

I believe that the best thing that you can do right now is perform a clean install on your system. You can make Kubuntu's install application format any HD partittion you wish, which means that you can format the / partition and preserve the /home partition.

About the upgrade from CD, I do not know of any Linux distribution which can successfully upgrade a present installation without breaking a lot of stuff in the process. It seems that it is an area which need an awfull lot of work, not only in Kubuntu but also in every other distribution out there. It sucks but hey, it is better to suck in something which the user only runs twice a year instead of twice a day.

Comment

Re: KDE issues after upgrade

Well..

Upgrade from 5.04 to 5.10 was clean and easy prosedure. Just apt-get update + apt-get -u dist-upgrade and that was it.

Upgrade from 5.10 to 6.06 was crappy and funny. After dist-upgrade you need install kubuntu-desktop + several kde packages again. Why it did't upgraded these ?

Now everything seems to work ok. Hope for the best & be prepared for the worst (upgrade 6.06 -> 6.10)
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X