X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resize partitions

I have the following partitions:
    Very approximate :
    NTFS 20 Gib with Win XP (about 6 Gb used)
    20 Gb Reiser FS For Kubuntu Dapper
    10 Gb Fat 32 partition for shared access
    1Gb swap
    4 Gb Dell Recovery partition - Propose to leave alone in the event of scorched earth

As I very rarely use XP I would like to shrink the NTFS partition and make it available to Kubuntu. Is this do-able from within a working installation or will I need to reinstall. Also, given that I have Igb of Ram (albeit some of it shared for video - Dell Inspiron 630m laptop with Intel 915 Graphics Card) Can I /should I reclaim some of the swap file as well?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian

Re: Resize partitions

If by chance, you have partition magic installed on you Windows system, should be able to tackle it there.

IndyTim

Comment

Is Kubuntu already installed or are you just making space for a future installation?

Also, do you have a live Kubuntu CD?
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Hi

I am already running dapper.

When I got the machine 2 months ago it had Win XP installed (of course). I set up the Reiser (and fat32 believe it or not) partitions with Mandriva 2006. Given my rare use of XP I could do with say shrinking NTFS by 5 gb and increase the reiser partition. I do have a copy of Partition Magic but its version 5 and I suspect may not work too well with XP.

Thanks

Ian

Comment

Well, just keep in mind that you can add to the end of partitions but not to the beginnings of them.

So if your Windows is /dev/hda1 and Kubuntu is /dev/hda2, and you shrink Windows, you can't add that new space to /dev/hda2.
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

OK. Methinks I shall leave well alone until I need a reinstall.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X