This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reiserfs Installation?? How???

How do I install Kubuntu DD using Reiserfs, instead of ext3?

Re: Reiserfs Installation?? How

You need to use the Alternate Install (text-based) CD to do that.
    Then you have to format the partition/drive where you will install / (root) as ReiserFS.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Any tutorial on how to do this?

Comment

No, you can do it with the live CD as well, during the install pick manual partition, then make a partition and then click 'create' and for the partition type chose reiserfs.

Comment

Looked there.... and I dont think this have option for that..

Comment

@OuchOfDeath: the Desktop CD does not offer ReiserFS.

@Kdar: if you have been able to install using the Alternate Install CD (text-based installer) before, there's nothing special to do except to choose reiserfs instead of ext3.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I just learned from a friend that the Kubuntu 6.06 DVD version also includes Reiserfs support on it's installer. So it looks like the issue (already mentioned) is that the Desktop CD lacks the Resierfs support. As I eluded to in another thread here however, you can create the partition type you want (including Reiserfs3) prior to running the DEsktop CD installer and it will then install to Reiserfs (so if you have CD you don't have to D/L the DVD to get reiserfs support).

Don't use Reiserfs4 type though, because it's still not included in any of the 'patched' Kubuntu 2.6.x kernels and it still could be a long time before going prime time on most distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                @OuchOfDeath: the Desktop CD does not offer ReiserFS.

@Kdar: if you have been able to install using the Alternate Install CD (text-based installer) before, there's nothing special to do except to choose reiserfs instead of ext3.
                mm, you're right, reiserfs is the one that's not there. There's another way with the live cd, boot from it and install gparted. gparted supports making reiserfs partitions. Then just use that new partition as root when you install.

Comment

@OuchOfDeath: Is QtParted installed on the Kubuntu Desktop CD? If it is, I wonder if you can do exactly the same thing, without having to do an extra installation of GParted.
                  Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Yea it is, it doesn't support ReiserFS either, but i just noticed you can install the progsreiserfs package and it'll support making reiserfs partitions.

So when booting the desktop cd you can either install gparted or progsreiserfs and you'll be able to make a reiserfs partition.

Comment

Working...
                    X