This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[c] Can't get grub to boot dapper

I have an IBM Intellistation which has both SCSI and IDE disks. I have been unable to get grub to properly boot off of either one, even if I eliminate the other. Every time I do an installation I end up with

Grub: hard disk error

followed by nothing.

I can successfully boot the CD then, from the CD choose to run off the hard disk which is, I suppose, an alternative, but an admittedly unpleasant one.

Interestingly enough, Fedora 5 installs and boots without any problems whatsoever, so it's not like grub can't boot the disk at all.

This machine has no other operating systems on it and is not yet in production so if there's a way I can help out the community by re-installing and fiddling with boot parameters or disk partitioning in order to explore this then that won't be a problem. At least for a month or so, then I'll have to start using the machine for real.

Any suggestions welcome. I kept the grub.conf from the successful Fedora installation if that would be of any value and I can re-install Fedora if examining that would help.

Mike
Working...
X