X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade Removed KDE

Hi
    I'm new to all this Linux stuff and don't really know much so please talk slowly!

I had kubuntu breezy installed on my pc and went to upgrade to dapper following the instructions on the website. Didn't notice it was removing my kde packages and hit 'commit', and now have no kde desktop.

However I've tried 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop' and I just get lots of dependency errors. The prompt suggests trying 'apt-get -f install' with no packages, whatever that means. Should I do this, or does someone have a better suggestion?

Please help!

Re: Upgrade Removed KDE

Sometimes this happens when you forget to #comment out the cdrom line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Alternatively, it could be due to having a line in your sources.list that refers to a specific version of KDE. For example, if you upgraded from KDE 3.4.3 to the much more stable KDE 3.5.2 by entering the word KDE-3.5.2 in your sources list instead of KDE-Latest, that might cause a problem. Not to mention the fact that since there's now only one version of KDE in Dapper KDE-latest is empty.

If I were you, I'd take the advice, at this point you have an unusable system so what do you have to lose? ANSWER: what you have to lose is all your personal "stuff", so copy your /home/jylyn/ directory tree to an external drive before running "sudo apt-get -f install".

Comment

So are you now at a black screen with white text where you log in and see this prompt?
      Code:
      jylyn@kubuntu:~$
      If so, try these commands:
      Code:
      wget -c [url]http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.list[/url]
      sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list_old
      sudo mv sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list
      sudo chown root:root /etc/apt/sources.list
      sudo aptitude update
      sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
      sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop
      sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
      In other words: download a good sources.list for Dapper, back up your old sources.list, use the good sources.list, make sure it's owned by root, read the new sources.list, make sure Dapper is installed properly, make sure KDE is installed properly, start KDE.
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Kudos, aysiu.
        Just the fix I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
        X