Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synaptic upgrade hang? Should I stop it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synaptic upgrade hang? Should I stop it?

I have been using synaptic to do all of my software upgrades, therefore just trusted the the upgrade to 6.06 from 5.10. All files dowloaded fine, but the system is still at the "Downloading and installing the upgrades" stage with the terminal below stating that it the current action is "Preconfiguring packages...", however it has been doing this preconfigure for nearly six hours now (assuming it is actually doing this).
    the computer hasn't frozen, so I can still open an xterm, etc. At the start I was warned that this could take hours, but am surprised that it has taken six so far and I am getting no sign that it is making any progress. Should I stop the upgrade? I need to go home from work soon and have to take the laptop with me---the latch switch will stop the process if I do so. Is there a way to know if it is actually doing something (besides the blue bar that bounces back and forth---unconvincing that something is being done).

Brief details:
    Dual boot: XP/kubuntu
    Dell Latitude D800, 1.5G ram

Any guidance would be apprciated very much.
    -Damon

Re: Synaptic upgrade hang? Should I stop it?

Could it be that it's asking for your input?
    Synaptic has a built in terminal that it uses to display process like in apt-get, and sometimes uses it to get user input. You can make it visible by click the little black arrow.

That's the only reason I can think of.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Re: Synaptic upgrade hang? Should I stop it?

I apologize for the slow reply but it took until this morning to get the computer up and running again. I believe that your guess was right, Jucato, but no the terminal was not showing any questions were being asked. I ended up killing an apt process (I don't remember which now) and it continued on fine (showing install activity in the terminal). Eventually it stopped progressing again, and I believe that it was caught on another question that wasn't showing up in the terminal. I did another kill, the upgrade failed, and then I ended up doing the upgrade/install from the command line.
      It would be interesting to know if the terminal in Synaptic allows for user interaction with questions. I would be willing to bet, from my experience, that the answer is no.

Comment

Working...
      X