X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Swap partition?

Originally posted by aysiu
    And with 1 GB of RAM, you'd never use any swap partition you create.
    That isn't true on all occasions, there are cases where swap is used even with 1Gb of RAM, though that is relatively rare and even then you probably won't need 1Gb of Swap space...so you might be better off with creating swap-files if needed (if disk space is a major issue).

However, creating an (oversized?) swap-partition is a 'care-free' solution...you don't have to worry about running out of memory in the middle of an intense video editing session :P...and you don't have to manage your swap files. (which can be automatized of course)

1Gb of ram is certainly enough for 'regular' use, though I still consider swap-space as insurance, well worth of the disk space taken (which is cheap). You could try without a swap partition (and using swap-files as needed)...and if (read:when) you need a new disk for your videos and documents you could make a decent-sized swap partition on your new disk.

Comment

I just went through an install last night and yes, Kubuntu does force a swap install if you're setting up a specific destintation for your Kubuntu. If you're doing a clean-sweep install, you should not have to be concerned about it.

IndyTim

Comment

ok i like to get all my worries out and answered before I install anything major on my computer, even though this is off-topic it would be a waste to create a new thread. Since I have XP and plan on installing kubuntu, does XP have a boot menu to let me dual-boot or does kubuntu install a boot-manager like grub? If it installs grub how do you uninstall? I want to know how to uninstall grub so that if I ever remove kubuntu I won't be stuck with a boot manager.

And again a big thanks

Comment

You can uninstall Grub with the M$ program that "repairs" the MBR. I believe it's "fdisk /fixmbr" from the "run command" thingie on the menu, but I'm probably wrong.

Comment

Sorry but I had to put my two cents. I recommend saving 5 gig or so and not partition it to anything. So swap will be 2mb / (root) will be 15gb - 2mb and 5 gb non partitioned for a 20 gb drive. Why would I do this? Well because it is sometimes easier to extend a partition then to shrink and add a partition. So, if down the road I needed/wanted to add a doc partition then wow I have a 5gb non partition available to use. If I need to extend root because I am running out of space then I can allocate all or some of the 5gb. I always like to leave some of my space unallocated if I can. That is, unless I have unlimited access to hard drives.

Comment

Working...
            X