This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no kde after update ?

Well I do have a big problem here. Yesterday, I tough it would be a nice thing to update my kubuntu 5.10 to 6.06 and by the way, to get the new kde release. So I updated my sources.list and then, I did apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade.

After a while, the update was done. So I rebooted my laptop. Kubuntu start, (it is written Ubuntu on my grub screen...) but when KDE should load, I get a black screen with login/password....

I did another time all the upgrade process but nothing has change. I have important files that I don't want to lose such as emails and my calendar! so please, help me.

Thx. Mathieu

Re: no kde after update ?

When you dist-upgraded, did it inform you that it would be removing some packages?

There are 2 possible causes of your problem:
    1. KDE packages were uninstalled during the dist-upgrade process. Try reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop package. If some KDE packages were removed, installing kubuntu-desktop would reinstall most of them (at least those that should be installed by default).

2. If #1 fails, then it's probably an X server problem. Once you've logged in the command prompt, try typing startx. If it's an X server problem, you will be thrown back to the command line, with some error messages. You can try doing sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to fix it. Remember to backup your xorg.conf first.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
      When you dist-upgraded, did it inform you that it would be removing some packages?

There are 2 possible causes of your problem:
      1. KDE packages were uninstalled during the dist-upgrade process. Try reinstalling the kubuntu-desktop package. If some KDE packages were removed, installing kubuntu-desktop would reinstall most of them (at least those that should be installed by default).

2. If #1 fails, then it's probably an X server problem. Once you've logged in the command prompt, try typing startx. If it's an X server problem, you will be thrown back to the command line, with some error messages. You can try doing sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to fix it. Remember to backup your xorg.conf first.
      I tried #1 and it almost worked. No more black screen after kubuntu startup, now I get my KDM login screen. When I log, I get a command prompt in the left top corner with my wallpaper behind. I did dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and nothing has change. any idea ??

Comment

Hi,

I've answered on your second post...

Comment

no one had this problem

Comment

Working...
          X