This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Dies on 6.06 Dell Dimension 4300

I'm having an odd problem with a fresh install of the latest and greatest Kubuntu 6.06. I couldn't find an answer in a scan of the forums, so here is it... I apologize if it's a repost.

The problem is this - after 2-5 minutes of network connectivity, traffic completely stops.

Restarting the connection on the software side has no effect (via the System Settings Network panel or via ifdown/ifup.

Reseating (full unplug and replug) the ethernet cable fixes the problem immediately, but 2-5 minutes later it stops again. During this time, network connectivity for other computers on the same switch is uninterrupted. It doesn't matter which end of the cable I reseat, and restarting the switch temporarily restores connectivity as well. I've tried 3 cables (all of which work fine with other computers) and 2 switches (also work fine with other computers).

The best part is, it works fine booting from the live-cd (I'm on it now). It's installed from the installer on the live-cd, and everything else in the system seems to work fine. The system was running ubuntu 5.10 (breezy) previously without problems. I've tried 2 reinstalls so far.

The system is a Dell Dimension 4300, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, and according to lspci, the network card is:
    0000:02:09.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)
    (this is what it shows when booted to the live-cd and the actual install)

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Re: Network Dies on 6.06 Dell Dimension 4300

jcornwell,

Davicom / tulip troubles, eh? Here is your fix:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186430

ricnmar

Comment

Re: Network Dies on 6.06 Dell Dimension 4300

Beautiful! Thanks!

I ended up throwing in a Linksys NIC not 15 minutes before I read this post, but the solution had been irking me! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X