This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper Not So Dapper { Fails To Install}

I previously had 5.10 on my pc and decided to do a fresh install of 6.06. When the installer starts in standard mode I get a garbled screen and nothing happens. When I attempt to install after booting into the live version it gos through the install process but hangs at mounting root and claims that there is no root partition. Any ideas what's wrong and how to solve it?My hardware specs are as follows;

Asus P5GD1 Motherboard
    Samsung 40GB PATA Drive
    evga GeForce 6600 Graphics Card
    1GB PC3200 DDR Memory

Re: Dapper Not So Dapper { Fails To Install}

Hi,

If you can't find a workaround, you can still install breezy and then dist-upgrade to dapper, no ?

Comment

I'm trying to install on a new HD and I'd rather not install an old release and then upgrade. If no one can help me with this issue I'll just pass on Dapper and wait for the next realease. I run SUSE on another box and use that as my main pc. Hopefully someone will be able to help as I frequently point friends who are interested in trying linux in the direction of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Right now, I can't recommend either.

Comment

Originally posted by cj100570
        I'm trying to install on a new HD and I'd rather not install an old release and then upgrade. If no one can help me with this issue I'll just pass on Dapper and wait for the next realease. I run SUSE on another box and use that as my main pc. Hopefully someone will be able to help as I frequently point friends who are interested in trying linux in the direction of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Right now, I can't recommend either.
        Sounds like a nasty bug, unfortunately it's very hard (at least for me) to pinpoint the cause of it...did you get any error messages (besides the 'no root partition')?

Have you tried the Alternate Install CD?...some have reported better results using it instead of the new DesktopCD.

Comment

Using the Ubiquity installer on the Desktop CD can be quite tricky since it's new and the interface needs a bit of getting used to. Did you make sure that you were able to setup a root partition/space in the installer (I think that's step 5 of the installation process).

Also, have you tried using the Alternate installer CD instead? It could be possible that the Desktop CD just isn't working for you (probably a bad download or a bad burn).

EDIT: oh crap! kubicle beat me to it.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Originally posted by cj100570
            Sounds like a nasty bug, unfortunately it's very hard (at least for me) to pinpoint the cause of it...did you get any error messages (besides the 'no root partition')?

Have you tried the Alternate Install CD?...some have reported better results using it instead of the new DesktopCD.
            I'll give that alternate install cd a try.

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't get anywhere with that attempt either. It gets to the partitioning screen and just stares at me. Oh well, at least I have my SUSE 10.1 to fall back to. I was really looking forward to this release. The live cd is great.

Comment

This is just a stupid question, but I've run across this before and felt stupid when I found that the disk needed a low level format before anything could be done with it. Do you know if that has been done? I don't know much about Partitioner and if it knows to do that. Just a thought when I read your post.

Comment

I finally got the install to work. The hard drive that I had been trying on was an old PATA that I use for trying out new distros. Well, apparently Dapper doesn't like that drive because when I tried the install on my SATA drive everything went as expected. Well, almost, I still coudn't install unless I was running the live cd and did so from there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X