This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Keep XP?

Ok before I install Kubuntu, I want to ask how to install it and keep XP at the same time. My friend sais he has his to where when he turns his machine on, it asks if he wants to boot from XP or Kubuntu, anyone know how to get it to do this? Can you tell me what to do during the installation process to enable that?

Re: How To Keep XP?

It Kindof Depends on how your setup already.

You need free UNPARTITIONED space on your harddrive, to install linux to.
    usually the windows XP partition of your drive will take up the whole lot.

if you have free unpartitioned space, just go the normal install process of kubuntu and you will come to a partition screen, where you can allotcate the unpartitioned space of your drie to linux, and leave the windows XP drive alone.

if your windows XP partition takes up your whole drive (most likely), then you have two options:
    ONE: Modify the windows xp partition with 3rd party software (like partition magic), which can change partitions without wiping them out

TWO: back up your stuff, wipe your drive and make a smaller partition for windows xp to use, then re-install XP first, then install kubuntu on the leftover space.

EDIT: Actually let me add this, no matter WHAT option you take, back up your stuff. its too risky not too.

Comment

Originally posted by JPDyno
      EDIT: Actually let me add this, no matter WHAT option you take, back up your stuff. its too risky not too.
      Amen.

You may find this helpful, too. It's written for Ubuntu, but the process is very similar for Kubuntu:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/windowstoubuntu.html
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

If you want the simplest and safest route now that hard drives are so cheap, I would add a second hard drive for Linux.
        Just be careful when the install asks you where to install Kubuntu that you choose the new drive ( set as the slave drive). The only thing that is changed on your windows drive (master drive) will be the addition of a new bootloader. This gives you the choicce of which system you want to run on startup.

Richard

Comment

Working...
        X