This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEST WAY TO BACKUP A LINUX DRIVE

Hi, I'm currently using Dapper and I am pretty new to Linux. One thing I have noted is it is usually not long before I mess something up trying to tweak or install something (e.g. 3D support for my ATI card). I would like to backup a base installation to save me time restoring so I can get some of these other things to work.

What is the best way to backup. Ideally, I would like to do something like Norton Ghost - run a bootable CD and backup a restorable image of the whole drive.

Any best practices to accomplish this?

Re: BEST WAY TO BACKUP A LINUX DRIVE

Originally posted by heatvent
    Hi, I'm currently using Dapper and I am pretty new to Linux. One thing I have noted is it is usually not long before I mess something up trying to tweak or install something (e.g. 3D support for my ATI card). I would like to backup a base installation to save me time restoring so I can get some of these other things to work.

What is the best way to backup. Ideally, I would like to do something like Norton Ghost - run a bootable CD and backup a restorable image of the whole drive.

Any best practices to accomplish this?
    You mentioned one, the bootable cd of ghost, the one i use is acronis true image bootable cd.

You can use the one for windows after you make the bootable cd, the cd uses linux to boot so its compatible with kubuntu. I use it all the time.

don

Comment

Try PartImage:
      http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partimage.html
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I also sugest to get g4u (Stands for Ghost for Unix). Works a treat.

Can be found here http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

Comment

In the book "Linux Power Tools" there's a whole chapter on this. I picked mine up on Amazon.com brand new for only a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
          X