This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper live black screen

One of my computers just displays a blank screen when I run the 6.06 desktop live CD.

Downloaded the desktop iso and checked the checksum. Burned the CD and rebooted the computer with it.

On my older computer (P4) it works well (although no sound).

On my new(er) computer (athlon XP 2600+) it goes through the whole installation thingo (from cd - not an actual install onto hd) and then there is just a sound and a black screen.

Both computers have Nvidia cards.

I'm assuming the burned CD is not the problem since it worked on my other computer.

I'm very frustrated by this since I've been looking forward to this release for a long time now (currently dual-booting XP and Breezy). I'm also concerned that those who're trying K/Ubuntu for the first time will be scared off by problems such as these.

How can I get the live CD to work?

Re: Dapper live black screen

hi
    i had some problems using nec drives, solved changing cd drive.
    try to check cd using the option in the initial screen of live cd. if everithing is ok then the cd is correct and readable.
    then try to boot live cd in safe mode (there is the option).. installation on laptops has a lot of problems due to graphics, or acpi, or PCMCIA

Comment

[c]

Hi!

i have the same problem.i tryed booting in safe mode, checked integrety with md5 and using the option in the initial screen and its all OK but i still cant get it to work.All i get is boot sound and blank screen.I also tryed ctrl+alt+"+-" to change resolution but nothing happened.

Someone please help!

------------------------------------
      Athlon XP Barton 2500
      Abit KD7-G
      512MB RAM
      1x80GB IDE
      1x80GB SATA

Comment

Thats realy nice......
        noone knows the answer  and thats what you call SUPPORT

Comment

Had problems with earlier Dapper Beta with my Nvidia MX400 ( or 440 I forget which it is). On HD install required editing of xorg.conf.

For LiveCD try HELP at Grub boot and try running in vesa mode for graphics.

Worth a try.

Bill

Comment

I have the same problem. everything looks fine durin the boot but after a while the system freez sudenly no keyboard no screen like it is dead.

AMD sempron 3000+ oc
            ati x800pro
            asus a7v880
            lg dvd rom

Comment

Originally posted by emilyo
              Thats realy nice......
              noone knows the answer and thats what you call SUPPORT
              Please remember this is a community driven, volunteer operation here. Maybe few have seen this issue, or come up with a solution. I know I haven't. I have only recently begun using the livecd installer myself

More detailed system specs would be helpful, possibly

In my personal experience, I have seen many burned images work just fine in one cd drive, and not work in another. My first suggestion after verifying the md5sum is to try another burn at a slower speed and/or using a different type of cd-r.

Comment

Working...
              X