X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of video during install

Hello,
    I just downloaded the AMD 64 bit package, and during install it loads everything fine until the point where I believe it tries to initiallize the graphical install. The first part comes up fine (loading of modules, keyboard, LVM, and what not) and displays correctly, but when the first status bar completes and loads on, my monitor turns off for loss of signal.

I never installed 5.10, but I used the live CD all last week (awaiting on new harddrive to arrive) without any problems.

My video card is a Connect3d X800gto flashed to X800xt. The monitor is a 19" LCD with a maximum resolution 1280x1024. The CPU is an Opteron 146 (s939) running at stock, and the motherboard is an Abit AN8-Ultra.

I tried starting in video safe mode, and the same thing happened.
    I checked the disk, and all checks completed successfully.
    Also, I hooked up a crt monitor (max res 1600x1200) via vga while having my lcd hooked up through dvi, both turn off.

Finally, I just looked at the initial install options, and I tried f4 for vga. It gave me options for resolutions, so I chose 1280x1024 - 32, but the video still went off at the same point, though up until that the images on screen were smaller, indicating a higher resolution.

The video cuts out right after the Warning about no liability flashes for a second. The cdrom drive keeps reading here and there, and if I press enter, it starts going again, though no video still.

Any thoughts?

Re: Loss of video during install

Hi,

Did you try to check md5sum ? It appears to be this trouble... no ?

Comment

It is to do with the video card.

I have a Shuttle ST20G5 with an x800 XL and have the same problem.
      It seems load load up fine until KDE starts, then the screen goes blank.
      KDE seems to load fine as you can hear the logon sounds.

Apparently it only boots properly with VESA drivers see:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=x800

Comment

row1, I think in your case it's trouble with resolution on live cd, no ?
        If it's installed version, you should try to :
        Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Comment

I too lose signal to my monitor at the end of dapper loading.

I have:

AMD64 3500+
          ATI All-In-Wonder x800 xt
          ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard
          1GB RAM
          NEC 3520A (which I tried upgrading the firmware to 3.07 from 3.06, since another post similar to this one suggested the NEC drive might be a problem: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=5633.0 )

I'm quite frustrated. It seems like whenever I want to try linux to see if I could switch over from XP, it never works.

If someone finds out a fix, please let me know

Comment

Any updates/ideas on how to change the video settings (which is my best uneducated guess) so the screen does not lose signal after the live cd finished loading?

Comment

Start your computer in recovery mode (the second entry on the Grub menu). This will give you a black and white full screen console. Enter your user name at the "login:" prompt, and then your password, if requested. If the only thing requested is a password, just hit return. Then run the command
              Code:
              sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" when asked enter your password. choose the "vesa" driver for your video.
              There seems to be a problem with the "ati" driver on some cards.

Comment

I am booting from the Live CD for the first time, so I am not using a bootloader (unless you're refering to the first screen that comes up when I'm booting from the cd). Therefore, I do not have a user name or anything because I have not even seen Kubuntu Dapper booted up yet (just the loading splash screen). Then my monitor loses signal.

Comment

Can anyone help me with this? Is there a way to choose the vesa drivers when booting the live dvd?

Comment

You should be able to get at least a command line from where you've booted and heard the sound of welcome... You can press keys <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1> and you will find a command line (I hope at least)

Cheers

Comment

<Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1> does work.
                      I entered "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and went through the setup, changing the drivers from ati to vesa. But then what? I assume I need to restart xserver or something like that? I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Rob

Comment

Just type startx from the console after you run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" with the change to vesa.

Comment

When I runt startx after dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is complete, I get this:

Fatal server error: Server is already active for display 0

Comment

I'm sorry there have been three people posting what may be different problems under slightly different circumstances and I am confused. Therefore these comments will be totally general, anyone who wants individual advice can start another thread. Hopefully, Sky is less confused than I.

Testing the compatibilty of your system with Kubuntu by using a live CD is a good idea, but you cannot make permanent changes on a live CD system because anything which is entered into a configuration file will disappear when you log off.

Setting your display driver to "vesa" will solve many problems attributable to incompatible drivers or obscure hardware such as video cards that are not manufactured either ATI or Nvidia. Unfortunately, such changes are not persistent between restarts from the live CD. Therefore, if you are running from the live CD, you will have to start another xsession without stopping the system. You may be able to do so by typing Ctl-Alt-Backspace from the screen with the xsession, (normally Ctl-Alt-F7).

Comment

Working...
                            X