X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu hangs at second progression bar on my laptop

Dear Ones
    I liked kubuntu for its good hardware support on other machines so I wanted to put it onto my new Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 1667G. Knoppix and Gentoo f.ex. are reported to work on it, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. I got 6.06 RC1 and did a flawless text mode installation. When it comes to boot, everything seems ok, I have that graphical screen and the progression bar completes. Then I get another empty progression bar and nothing happens. Some few times after a long wait Restarting system log - ok appeared, once, twice ...
    How can I be helped - How can I help to be helped?

Re: kubuntu hangs at second progression bar on my laptop

this is the same issue i had during current kubuntu testing on a laptop. what caused it for me was a bad xorg.conf file. what fixed the problem for me so i could boot normally and then fix my resolutions to my liking was this.

hit escape at grub and boot up safe...once in issue the following command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

this will reset you x server
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)<br />Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council<br />https://launchpad.net/~nixternal<br />http://www.nixternal.com

Comment

thanks for that, I did so, following the autodedection which looks like working, ATI X700 is recognized. However applying startx afterwards I always get "Fatal server error: no screens found".

Comment

Could you post your xorg.conf file, just to see there isn't something odd in there

Comment

had the same issue :

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg didn't work for me neither

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg solved my problem

hope that may help you

Comment

many thanks for all those hints and suggestions. Finally only installation of xorg-fglrx-driver 8.25.18 solved it for me. I like kubuntu now warmheartedly - the first distro to work with my laptop (gentoo would too).

Comment

Working...
            X