Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

apt-get wants to remove 49 packages during upgrade to dapper?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apt-get wants to remove 49 packages during upgrade to dapper?

I changed all instances of breezy to dapper in my sources list and typed:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

However, apt-get tells me it wants to remove 49 packages as part of the upgrade:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    akode akode-mpeg amarok amarok-gstreamer base-config busybox-cvs-initramfs
    cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data dbus gstreamer0.8-jack hal hotplug hplip-base
    ifrename ivman k3b k3blibs kaffeine-gstreamer kdelibs4c2 language-support-en
    libarts1c2 libid3-3.8.3c2 libjack0.80.0-0 libkcal2a libkdepim1
    libkleopatra0a libmimelib1a libopenexr2c2 libtag1c2 libtunepimp2c2 libwpd8c2
    mysql-common-4.1 openoffice.org2 openoffice.org2-base openoffice.org2-calc
    openoffice.org2-common openoffice.org2-core openoffice.org2-draw
    openoffice.org2-help-en-us openoffice.org2-impress openoffice.org2-kde
    openoffice.org2-l10n-en-us openoffice.org2-math openoffice.org2-writer
    python-uno sanekonsole x-common xmkmf xorg-common xserver-common

Is this correct?

Thanks

Re: apt-get wants to remove 49 packages during upgrade to dapper?

Yes, it will remove those packages, but if you look, it should be installing newer versions of some, while the others are not used any longer, and others look to have been renamed. For example, you should see that it will install mysql5, which is the default version for dapper, but mysql4 needs to be removed first. The same for Amarok, those related packages are dependent on the old version and are removes when the old Amarok is. The new Amarok installs other packages instead.

Comment

what I do is make sure I have Kubuntu-desktop installed before I do the upgrade, I think it gives less of a headache.
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
        what I do is make sure I have Kubuntu-desktop installed before I do the upgrade, I think it gives less of a headache.
        yes, and again, if you try to do apt-get update and apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
        then it WILL remove a bungh of files and install another bunch, (in my case all the new amarok, and another stuff that i use all the time.
        and then it will not re install it while doing the kubuntu-desktop. so u need to do the nice 3 steps:
        1- install (again becouse once u did have it) kubuntu-desktop
        2- upgrade to dapper
        3 reinstall the 20 or 40 something apps and programs and files that u really need and use in a daily basis.
        (the spellchecker's not working so ... lol)

i am not complaining, just do a list of all the updating si trying to remove in order to considering afterward to reinstall it or not without to much of a headache.
        right nirvana?
        lol
        yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

Only 49? I'm being asked to remove 179 which includes even adept.

So will the above instructions work for me? I actually didn't have Kubuntu-desktop installed for some reason previously and I do now but it still wants to uninstall a whole bunch of stuff.

Comment

Only 49? My setup wants to uninstall 194 packages.

And to the person who claims that installing kubuntu-desktop in breezy first would help: are you sure? I just try apt-get dist-upgrade, and it wants to uninstall kubuntu-desktop, in fact, it wants to uninstall any package that is related to KDE. Moreover, it doesn't want to re-install kubuntu-desktop.

I have attached the list of packages that apt-get wants to uninstall and install.

This brings me to another question: Is the upgrade worthwhile? is it more stable? I am using Athlon XP 1800+, with a TNT2 video card, so it probably won't be faster on my machine.

Thanks in advance for any comment.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

For me it's worthwile to upgrade, boot is much faster, you have new versions of applications and security updates...

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X