This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird install problem - actually a 'post install'

Hi guys. I have searched the forums; but was unable to find someone with such a similar problem. I am trying to install kubuntu 6.0.6 using an install cd. It goes through 'phase1' of the install process fine. It goes through the grub process; installs grub and then prompts me to take out the cd and reboot. I do that and then I see the 'grub menu'. I chose 'Ubuntu, kernal 2.6.15-21-386' and I am on my way then. Btw; I see my XP pro listed in there too.

This is where things get weird. It goes to a black screen with 'kubuntu' logo and a progress bar. Then it does the 'loading esesentional drivers. mounting root.. configuring network.. hp image.. blah blah blah'.. all those end up as 'OK'. Then it again comes back to a black screen with a 'kubuntu' written in the middle. There is a progress bar underneath the big 'kubuntu' sign. After this; nothing happens for the longest time. The progress bar does not move. The only thing I see after a 'looong time' is a message that says 'restarting system log'. That is it..

Any ideas? If I log in using the 'recovery' mode; I can login using my newly created account. So the problem seems to be with the 'Windowing' system??

Thanks!

Re: Weird install problem - actually a 'post install'

I'm not using Dapper yet, so I can't tell if this is just a Dapper bug which will be fixed by tomorrow or the next day. Instead I'll give the usual advice when the GUI doesn't start. (1) Start in rescue mode, then type "startx" and see what error messages you get. (2) Try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, with "ati", "nv" or "vesa" as appropriate. (3) Check the usual logs (Don't forget /var/log/installer/messages).

Comment

Re: Weird install problem - actually a 'post install'

That did the trick. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X