Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

text-mode install cd question (can I keep partitions already made)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

text-mode install cd question (can I keep partitions already made)

I already have three partitions on a second hard drive (a fourth is dedicated to Windows).  6.4 gb for /, 6.4 gb for /home, and 1.6 gb for /swap.  Does the install CD (not the live CD) provide a way to use these partitions without having to recreate or resize them?  Thanks in advance.
    Ubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.04, and another TBD

Re: text-mode install cd question (can I keep partitions already made)

Yes you definitely can. When you get to the partioning section, choose "manually edit Partition Table". In the next screens you can choose partitions and define where you want to mount them, and whether or not to format them.

Comment

What you suggested I have done, but I "can't mount a file system" on hdb6 (the / partition). This is what the text-mode install program tells me:

"the attempt to mount a file system with type xfs in ide1 slave (my second hard drive where I hope to install kubuntu), partition #6 (hdb 6) at / failed. Where am I going wrong?

Comment

I don't know, I am not familiar with xfs
        But since you are using that for your root, you could let the installer format that one partition.
        I keep a separate /home plus various other partitions and only format and install to the one "/"

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          I don't know, I am not familiar with xfs
          But since you are using that for your root, you could let the installer format that one partition.
          I keep a separate /home plus various other partitions and only format and install to the one "/"
          During the partition stage, xfs is the only choice available to me from the install cd. Is that the correct one?

Comment

you want ext3, to do this, simply press enter over your / partition, and select ext3 instead of xfs. If the partition is already xfs, you will have to format it ext3. For a step by step guide, see here: http://distroguide.box.sk/index.php/...u#Partitioning
            <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

cool I was looking for just such a set of screenshots!
              Thanks for the link Nirvana

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
                you want ext3, to do this, simply press enter over your / partition, and select ext3 instead of xfs. If the partition is already xfs, you will have to format it ext3. For a step by step guide, see here: http://distroguide.box.sk/index.php/...u#Partitioning
                That's an excellent resource. I was able to determine that my cd was corrupt...I downloaded beta2 and burned a new cd, and it installed like a breeze.

Comment

Working...
                X