This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu dapper beta2 and Flight 6

I have attempted to install Dapper Flight 6 and Beta2 on an ibm thinkpad t-20. This machine has a Savage S3 video card and 8 Mb of video ram, with 512 Mb main memory and a disk upgraded to a 60 Gb Hitachi travelstar (5400 rpm). The computer was running Kubuntu 5.10, but I decided to try out Dapper Flight 6 (which did work on a T30). The installation seemed to go all right until it tried to start X during the process. What I got was a black screen with a small cusor in the upper left of the screen. I downloaded Flight 6 again, burned another cd, check the MD5sum and tried the installation again with the same result.

I also tried reinstalling breezy and upgrading that with a dist-upgrade, with the same result.

I thought then to try the kanotix 2006-01 beta, also with the same result. When Kubuntu Beta 2 was released I tried that, still again with the same result.

The main difference between the installation attempt distros and the formerly functioning breezy 5.10 seems possibly to be xorg v. 7.0.x.

My question is this (finally!): is there a problem with older video or perhaps lack of video ram and the newer Xorg implementations? Or does perhaps Dapper Flight 7 accomodate a machine as I described?

Any answers or help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

jim

Re: kubuntu dapper beta2 and Flight 6

Hi,

I think it should work but maybe you try to look in wiki of kubuntu and/or ubuntu to see if your hardware is still supported...
    what is the driver in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

Comment

Working...
    X