Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mouse not working after 6.06 beta 2 installation!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse not working after 6.06 beta 2 installation!

I'm a long term user of Kubuntu and I had been trying the last 3 releases of Dapper Drake without any problem.

Starting with 6.06 beta and beta2, after install I can't move the mouse cursor at all. I have a USB IntelliMouse. The xorg.conf file looks fine as far as I can tell.

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier   "Configured Mouse"
        Driver     "mouse"
        Option     "CorePointer"
        Option     "Device"        "/dev/input/mice"
        Option     "Protocol"       "ExplorerPS/2"
        Option     "ZAxisMapping"     "4 5"
        Option     "Emulate3Buttons"    "true"
    EndSection
    Any idea what's wrong? I saw someone in another post refer to the "mouse problem", but searches for that problem in this forum or ubuntuforums didn't bring up anything.

Thanks.

Re: Mouse not working after 6.06 beta 2 installation!

Hello llopis

I am not familar with the intellimouse, is it a wired USB mouse, plugs direct into the port, or is it wireless with a dongle?

Will

Comment

Reason I am asking is that I use a Targus wireless USB mouse, if it is connected at boot it works fine, if I connect it after the desktop is up and running I hit the "reset" button on it and the dongle and it is good to go. Does the intellimouse showup under KinfoCenter under USB?

Will

Comment

Originally posted by warbuckle
        Hello llopis

I am not familar with the intellimouse, is it a wired USB mouse, plugs direct into the port, or is it wireless with a dongle?
        Hi Will,

It's just a regular USB mouse (it has 5 buttons, but I'm not even trying that yet). It's even connected to the computer USB hub directly to avoid initialization order problems.

--Noel

Comment

Is there a reset button on it?..........and are you getting any error messages from your system logs after boot?

Will

Comment

Is there a reset button on it?..........and are you getting any error messages from your system logs after boot?
            No, no reset button. It's a fairly plain USB mouse.

No mouse errors in any of the logs as far as I can see.

The light in the mouse comes, on which is usually a sign that is detected and up and running, but the mouse curson will not move.

I tried it with a totally different plain-vanilla USB mouse and got the same result.

This seems like a pretty serious bug! And one that was added just in time for the beta I might add. What a bummer!

Any ideas what else I can try to fix it?

Comment

Hello,

This might seem like a rather strange request, but, have you tried a different USB port, I have run into this on my laptop that the side port does not work, but the front port does.............wierd as it sounds..........

Will

Comment

Hello,

This might seem like a rather strange request, but, have you tried a different USB port, I have run into this on my laptop that the side port does not work, but the front port does.............wierd as it sounds..........

Will
                Yes, I did. I tried several ports and no go.

I tried it with a plain-vainilla USB mouse, no go.

dmesg shows that it detects USB devices being plugged and unplugged correctly. No log problems related to mice.

I even just upgraded to the latest beta (7 I think) and it's still there.

Really, this used to work in the release candidates. How can they screw it up this much? I really, really hope this doesn't ship this way. I can't believe more people aren't having this problem.

Comment

maybe try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg? (after backing up the original, obviously)
                  <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
                    maybe try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg? (after backing up the original, obviously)
                    Every time I try one of the new betas, I completely wipe the system and start totally from scratch. So I don't think dpkg-reconfigure would do anything, or would it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nirvana
                      By the way, I did run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and nothing changed. I tried both the ImPS/2 and ExplorerPS/2 protocols and nothing. Tried different mice and nothing. Tried different USB ports and nothing.

I'm totally baffled.

Also, it appears that this is only the tip of the iceberg (since I can't use the mouse, it's not like I've tried many other things). As far as I can tell, my don't have network connectivity out of the box either. My ethernet card and network settings were detected correctly during the install, but I can't ping any machine in my local network.

I don't know what happened between RC5 and Beta 1, but something got really, *REALLY* screwed up. I'm running on the same machine, with the same hardware, in the same hard drive partitions (formatted). I have such plain, standard hardware that I'm surprised that other people aren't having this problem.

Comment

First of all, I have no idea what's going wrong, but I wonder if you might find something in the /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/installer/messages, and, since it's the mouse, I'd also check ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Comment

By the way, after just about giving up, I tried the latest beta and it worked.

The main difference is that this time I used the "live" CD instead of the "text install" or "custom" one. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                          X