This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu beta2 bugs and annoyances

I was a Mepis user and I recently switched to Kubuntu. I am very impressed with the quality and attention to detail and I would like to congratulate everybody who helped bring us this fine product.

After a fresh install, I used easy ubuntu and most thing seem to work OK. I have centrino laptop with 1gb ram and an ati x700 256mb graphics card. After using Kubuntu for almost a week, I would like to report some important bugs and annoyances that I discovered or experienced. I hope these will be fixed in the next release:

1- Konqueror does not remember view settings. I set the view mode to "detailed list view", save the view profile but when I move into a new folder the view mode goes back to "icon view". This is very, very, very annoying.

2- Kaffein plays videos fine but the subtitles are invisible for some reason. I can see them when I select xshm in the xine video options but this driver does not play as smooth. Also, the "embedded mplayer for kde" engine does not work.

3- Adept sometimes fails to start (launch icon jumps for a minute and disappears) or sometimes it starts but then freezes showing a blank unresponsive screen. When I close it, I cannot start synaptic either since I get "Unable to get exclusive lock" message. (I think this happens after using the adept updater but I am not sure)

4- Amorok arts engine doesn't work.

5- When I enter "kdesu kate" or "kdesu konqueror" nothing happens. If I use "sudo konqueror" instead, I get an error message in the console saying:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
    kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.

kded: cannot connect to X server :0.0
    kded: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
    kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
    ScimInputContextPlugin()

Again thank you for everyone's efforts and I hope these will also be fixed soon so that we have a winner distro.

Re: Kubuntu beta2 bugs and annoyances

5- When I enter "kdesu kate" or "kdesu konqueror" nothing happens. If I use "sudo konqueror" instead, I get an error message in the console saying:
    I get the same thing no matter what I try to start using sudo.

I have yet to be able to get Adept to start.

Comment

Originally posted by laissezfaire

1- Konqueror does not remember view settings. I set the view mode to "detailed list view", save the view profile but when I move into a new folder the view mode goes back to "icon view". This is very, very, very annoying.

3- Adept sometimes fails to start (launch icon jumps for a minute and disappears) or sometimes it starts but then freezes showing a blank unresponsive screen. When I close it, I cannot start synaptic either since I get "Unable to get exclusive lock" message. (I think this happens after using the adept updater but I am not sure)
      I am a newbie to Linux and Kubuntu; less than a month since I first played with Kubuntu but after a few weeks I have finally got my internet working, printer working, music working, IM working, etc. So I am ok for day to day stuff.

I have noticed the same two bugs in my usage too. I prefer to have my files displayed in detailed list view and they never stay that way. I have also noticed whenever adept hangs I can not restart it again without rebooting the computer. Sometimes I get a "database locked" message that will not even let me use the Konsole either - so time to reboot.

The adept really bothers me as I shouldn't have to reboot to be able to use it again. The Konqueror is more of annoyance than problem. Overall though, I am very pleased with Kubuntu so far!

Comment

Originally posted by jmanincharlotte
        If you get the database error just press STRG+Escape and look for Adept in the process list. Select it and press the kill button. So you don't have to reboot.

I only use Synaptic or aptitude. Have the same problems with Adept.

Comment

5 > using dapper and then kdesu "blah" fails first time I run kdesu "blah" second time and it works

Comment

unsure if this will help but its worth a try

open a konsole and write

sudo passwd root
            enter your password

enter the same password
            re-enter the same password

press enter to save

this will enble your password system wide
            which includes the use of su, sudo & kdesu ...

Comment

Re: Kubuntu beta2 bugs and annoyances - still there

This 'detailed list view' not sticking bug still exists in Kubuntu 6.10 (just installed it). Anyone have a fix for this?
              Check out my blog for useful scripts and tips... http://igurublog.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
              X