X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

606 sluggish !

Hi there,

I installed the beta 2 on my IBM Cel466/256M machine, this is bit old but Breezy ran very smooth on it, unfortunately the beta 2 has lot of problem with it. The main problem is the resources utilization, the CPU useage goes sky rocket high all the time, the physical memory almost used up, the 700M swap will all be eaten up in 5hrs. even there is only firefox and thunderbird running without activity, the swap will not release after I close the apps. and the average 1min. load is at 6. The system halts regularly every 5-10min., there is no hard disk activity unless when the swap is seriously out, overall the system is extremely sluggish. I apt-get installed the 686 kernel try to improve this but no luck, it seems that there something to do with the X, coz I got better responds with the shell when others are all freezed,, FYI I am using an ATI PCI display card.

Some questions, how do I tell what version I am running, coz there is some error in the download link, I downloaded the live CD but ends up it is not live only install. And can I upgrade to the release version in later day via apt-get, or I must reinstall everything ?
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: 606 sluggish !

Perhaps uname -a from a root terminal........will give the kernel version at least

Comment

Hi,

If you're going to console mode you should see it. press keys <ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>, it will not tell you what cd version you've downoaded but the release version...
      You will be able to upgrade to stable version in one month just by apt-get update and dist-upgrade, really easy and painless
      Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the info., btw, I think there is something to do with the ACPI, I added noacpi at boot and now the swap does not use up but still 50% full, still sluggish and swap does not release even I closed all apps.

Comment

I got this :

Linux kubuntu 2.6.15-21-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 21 16:57:03 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

Did I install the wrong kernal, I want to install one that best fit the Celeron.

Comment

Well,

I have 6.06 Beta2 installed and have kernel 2.6.15.20-386 installed, 2 days ago, so it would seem to be ok. Did you "update the kernel by any chance?

I find 6.06 B2 to be fairly fast, and I am running on a laptop 1.4 ghz / 256 mg ram........

Run KDE System Guard and have a look at the load.

On your machine, I do not think you are going to get "blazing speed" perhaps dl and install a less intensive desktop GUI other then KDE or Gnome which are both heavy GUI's.

Also see what "services" are running by default, you may have 3 or 4 that you do not need to hav open......

Will

Comment

Thanks for the info., yes I upgraded the kernel and hoping that the system can run faster, but is this the right kernel ? what I did is simply a 'apt-get install linux-686'. I don't except miracle but as compared with Breezy the new version is extremely sluggish.

Comment

The kernel should be fine, but like I said, try a less intensive desktop manager, you should see some speed gains, as KDS is top heavy........

Will

Comment

How about Gnome, I got the live cd with Gnome and it ran quick fast on my system, how do I install G-desktop ? and since I have KDE in place so I still can use K apps. within Gnome, right ?

Comment

You could try Gnome, although I doubt it is less intensive then KDE, but if you say it is responsive via the Live CD then give it a go, as for the installation, search the forum, I have seen the "howto" but cannot remember where..................duh.............perhapsd in the howto / Documentation sections. I believe KDE apps will work, as long as it is installed.........."but" I am not 100% on this matter.

Will

Comment

Working...
                    X