X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BETA2 upgrade - no kdm?

Hi

I have run the upgrade from a fairly vanilla Kubuntu Breezy to Dapper this morning which al appeared to go well. However whether I boot in Normal or Safe Mode after running the Graphical start-up Kubuntu drops to a test login.

I have made sure that KDM is specified as my default-display-manager by running sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm and checked the file. I have also run a process described elsewhere in the forum to re-detect the graphics card and display - all to no avail.

The graphics cards is an Nvidia FX5200. Can anybody help please?

By the way .. I don't know if it's related but during the Graphical boot-up I notice a message stating that PCMCIA Services fail to start but this being a Compaq desktop I'm not sure if it's relevant.

Thanks all.

Problem Solved

OK .. this is how I managed to resolve this.

I realised that if I started Kubuntu in failsafe mode I could manually start KDE from the command line by running KDM.

With KDM starting from the command live I then went into System Settings -> Display -> Hardware and logged into Administrator Mode.

The Graphics card was detected correctly with the correct driver (Nvidia GEForce FX (Generic), Driver NV).

The monitor however was set as unknown. I tried the Auto-detect button which selected "Plug n Play" but on running the "Test" this failed but returned no messages.

I then manually selected my monitor, a Compaq FP7317 and tried the test again. This time test didn't return anything at all (??) but I took this to be good news.

I logged out of my user and re-started X which started OK. I then logged out and powered my PC off and back on and selected the normal start-up from Grub and it KDM started perfectly.

As a note of interest .. having set "mointor 1" manually it now has "monitor 2" set as plug n play .. interesting as I don't have a second monitor?!

Hope this might help somebody else.

Comment

Working...
    X