This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem starting X with Nvidia

I have downloaded the Kubuntu 6.06 LTS to try and possibly install. It loads okay and then gets to the point when it should start X and then hangs with the blue Kubuntu logo and the little boot load progress bar. The only thing I can do is reboot. I have tried the CD in my laptop and it works perfectly so I know there is nothing wrong with the CD.

I have:

Intel P4 3Ghz socket 478
    1Gb of RAM (two sticks of 512mb)
    Asus P42800 -MX SE with SIS chipset
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP with 128Mb

I know that there are reported problems with newer ATI cards but could there be problems with Nvidia too?

I tried to upgrade Breezy to Dappy via Adept about a month ago and I got exactly the same problem. I am surprised that this is not fixed yet. I am worried that I will have the same problem when Dapper is officially released.

Any suggestions, thoughts?

Re: Problem starting X with Nvidia

Update:

If I try the graphical safe mode everything works perfectly.

Is that because of a xorg.conf settings?

Comment

Re: Problem starting X with Nvidia

very possibly, very likely the installer is not detecting your display correctly. Maybe try posting your monitor specs and your xorg.conf?

One option is to try and have your video settings re-detected by running the following command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and answering the questions. Try to have your monitor's refresh rates (both horiz and vert) as this is where the problem may lie.

You can select "ok" or "yes" for most options you will see in the dialog, unless you know it should be different. When you get to the monitor section, select "autodetect", and in the next few windows you will be asked to select "simple" "medium" and "advanced", select "advanced" and in the following windows, enter the correct refresh rates if they are not already there correctly. For some reason, my monitor's refresh rates are not set up correctly by many distros during the install, but here in Kubuntu re-running the config seems to get the values correctly. I would suggest copying the xorg.conf file somewhere once you get it set up so you have it ready if there are problems with an upgrade, and is much easier than running the config tool again

Comment

Working...
      X