This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: Kubuntu 6.06 should be named alpha not beta

Granted you expect problems with beta software, but compared to ubuntu and xubuntu, kubuntu should be called alpha. The installer on the live cd doesn't work and it eats hard drives as well!

Live installer

Originally posted by grgiii
    ...The installer on the live cd doesn't work and it eats hard drives as well!
    I too was a bit surprised by the behavior of the installer on the live CD. Maybe I didn't read enough first, but I did not expect the dialogs to disappear after step 5 of 7 and delete every partition on my drive (which it gives you no indication it is doing, nor does it confirm that's what you wanted).

I was actually just going through the dialogs to see if it gave you partitioning options - I had one partition I wanted to keep. :\

Oh well, good thing I always back up the important stuff. Beta happens.

I never did get the install to work from the live CD on my Asus A8n32-SLI board - but maybe it was still doing stuff in the background when the dialogs disappeared. I got the "normal" install CD to work fine.

I was also very pleased to find that both CDs recognized my boards ethernet (the 3/31 alpha release, as well as every other live distro except Mandriva One, do not).

-J
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Re: Warning: Kubuntu 6.06 should be named alpha not beta

I guess I had better count my blessings. The installer would die as soon as I got to step 5 but none of my existing partitions were harmed.

I tested the Live CD on a second machine - same result, installer dies when you reach the step to partition the drive.

This is very disappointing since up to that point I was impressed with the beta. It's the first version of Kubuntu/Ubuntu to actually get my screen resolution correct without my having to tweak things manually.

Comment

Working...
      X