This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with beta cd

Cd works only with safemode, but thats not main problem. When i start to install then at configuration step 6 install crashes. How i am supposed to install it when install crashes . Third problem what i found was minor when doing cd check then after cd check press any key to reboot didnt work.
    Edit: here are my computer specs : Nvidia gt6600 512 ram celeron 2,6 ghz, maybe this will help u figure out problem and cd was ok i did cd check.

Re: problems with beta cd

Hello Yeeha,

If the "minor problem" you found was when you did a media check on the cd you burned; if I understand you correctly, download and burn again, do a media check prior to installing. Sounds like maybe a bad dl / and/or burn.

Will

Comment

I don't think this is a dl or cd burn problem. I had the same thing happen.

When I tried verifying the cd all checksums verified but it would not reboot at the end.

In addition, the installer crashed on the step immediately after entering user name and passwords. However, It took the default from the next page (erase disk) before it crashed and wiped out the hard disk on my test system! I discovered this when I went on to try Xubuntu. Fortunately this was only my test system, but it took my windows 98 test install and my test home partition as well!

Note: I was able to install Ubuntu and Xubuntu ok, it was the installer on Kubuntu that crashed. I think the default on the installer needs to be changed to something other than erase the disk! That is a dangerous default eespecially if it is going to crash and take the erase when it does!

Comment

I have installed Kubuntu twice in the last week, "dual boot with XP", the default is not to erase the whole disk, unless you choose that option. You can also manually setup your partitions............

Will

Comment

Does anyone else have problems with the Beta CD's?

Ive not realised anything on 2 Test systems but im a little apprehensive to send out any CD's if there have been any other reports of them failing.

Thanks,

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by warbuckle
            I have installed Kubuntu twice in the last week, "dual boot with XP", the default is not to erase the whole disk, unless you choose that option. You can also manually setup your partitions............

Will
            You probably used usual install cd i guess but live+install cd where install is from desktop is flawed it has been told others on forums too so it cant be my cd or hardware fault.

Comment

This is the first time (K)Ubuntu has tried to install from the live-cd. The version that's out there now has a tendency to wipe out people's hard drives. The developers are now aware of this fact and will fix it as fast as they can. In the meantime, use the old installer on the install-cd iso.

Comment

I've the same problem, I download the LTS ISO from 'others' site, the install crashed at step 6, and I find the cd has checksum error, then I download from US site, but the install still crash at step 6. I think it is better to have the installation done in text mode, it is very slow on my Celeron 466 with 256M RAM. Now I've the 'flight 6' installed instead, and I've done the update as well, I wonder if I can upgrade to the release version later on, or I must reinstall it ?
                Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

Hi,

No you can upgrade at any time you want to the release version and even later to the next test one

Cheers

Comment

Hello friends, I have the same problems stated:
                    1) In live CD: the installer crashes  just before the partitioning part, adept does not work, and shutdown/reboot freezes when it says to take out the CD and press enter.
                    2) The "install CD" installs ok but adept still does not work.  Through apt-get I installed synaptic, with synaptic upgraded adept and libqt-perl, but still nothing.
                    ...it doubt it could be a hardware problem because I have Breezy in the next partition (hdb5) and works fine.... Any ideas

Comment

Re: problems with beta cd Adept

I installed 6.06 LTS on 3 desktop computers, and one notebook, and I had to do

sudo debtags update

to get adept working, I have 4 computers networked with wireless now, 3 using Airlink101 USB and notebook has wifi builtin no problems so far just I have to insmod rt73.ko each time I turn the computers on.

Comment

Just installed beta2, its very nice almost all working well but i have strange thing i cant upgrade discover1-data & foomatic-db-engine. Any ideas?

Comment

I have downloaded the beta cd yesterday and wanted to install today. The cd booted up without any problems but when i tried to install the installation crashes and I found that my complete harddisk was erased including all my partitions with my /home partition. What I wonder is if this is a known problem for several days already why not put up a warning not to use this cd on the website. This is very disapointing for me and I will not download another kubuntu cd for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                          X